Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower back,disc problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello my name is Larry, I am a 56 yr old male from Canada.
I have degenerative disc disease, I have a bulge in discL2-3
and L3-4. Disc L4-5 is protruding. I also have foraminal
spinal stenosis. I have problems with sciatica due to a disc
touching a nerve which affects both my legs. I had a herniated disc that was fixed 5 yrs ago when I was in China
I feel the same as everyone, lots of pain, I no longer work, I
use a cane and walker to help me walk better. I use Celebrex
for pain and inflammation, it does not help much but I have
to use something or my discs will inflame too much.I am sorry
for all those young people, they are too young to have so
many back problems! I do my own physio, mostly back and
spine stretching exercises. The disc problems I have are
aggravated more if I walk too much. I believe that in USA
you have better medicine than Canada. Although medicine
in Canada is free it is poor quality! I cannot get any treatment
for my back problems, no surgery or any other treatment.
I have been told there are too many risks with fixing discs
so nothing can be done! So I suffer and make the best of it!
To everyone out there with back problems: I know its hard
STRONG !! God bless you all!

• love your signature name, you sound as though you are a very upbeat person, i too have probs with disc at L4/L5 been told today they want to go ahead with 360 fusion, best wishes my friend i will look forward with a smile whenever i see your name pop up :)))
  • If you cross the border, they'd have you in surgery in no time at all! Sciatic pain is horrendous and no amount of exercise or stretching is going to help with the stenosis.

My surgeon described his work on me as being like a "roto-rooter." I don't know if you have those ads in Canada...but it is used when the plumbing is plugged up -- the pipes are completely clogged up and nothing can pass through-- so they go in, clean out the clogs and open up the passageway -- in my case, this was to create enough space so the nerves could exist without getting squished.

I'm sorry you are in pain and don't seem to have many choices. I hope you will find some help here on the board.