Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain after fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Management
My son had a back fusion on Aug 12 09, Sl, L1, he is still having considerable pain. My question is, since he has been on Vicoden for about 3 yrs, till we could get anyone to operate, he is only 22 and had severe spondololythisis. I am not sure if he is drug seeking or really needs the vicodin. The drs all act as if he shouldn't be having any pain, which I don't believe. He can hardly sleep or sit. I just need some levels to deal with so when I take him back to neurosurgeon on the 6th, I will know what to fight for.
Good news, he is walking so well, his left leg, which before he had to limp, is now perfect. Thank you for any replies on this subject. Smiles, diamondlil

• To me it sounds like you know your son and know he is in real pain. If he can’t sleep and has a hard time sitting at a chair, he is in real pain. You may want to ask your son to keep a pain log to document his pain level over time and how it responds to activity and also to what level the pain meds help relieve his pain.

At this point I don’t think worrying about drug addiction is a big issue. Getting him help to get out of the pain, and then work on reducing pain meds. I know for me without pain meds, I cannot function. My wife usually knows before I do if I need a pain pill because I spend so much energy trying to not think about the pain. I think if you have open communication with your son about this, things will sort themselves out. I'm 36 and have not missed a day of pain meds for almost two years now. I have tried numerous times to reduce or stop taking them, but by the end of the day I'm in so much pain I can’t even be there for my family, so now I just take them and do the best I can.

I think all of us hope to be off pain meds, but with that I mean get out of pain so we don’t need them. Good luck with everything and I wish the best for you and your son.