Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just Trying to Help Fellow Spineys

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all. Last week there was a post about someone who was out of town and was going to run out of pain meds before her script was mailed to her. I had the same thing happen, and told her what I had done.
Well today, I get this PM from someone on this site that really needs more to do. I spelled precription, perscription, in my post several times. This person had to let me know via private message. I felt bad because with all the meds I am on, sometimes I don't even remember what I typed the next day. And I was trying to help a friend in need. So sorry if I upset very many people by my spelling.

• maybe it was an old high school teacher of yours thinking she didnt do a good job....glad i didnt have her for teacher lol
  • You are always so helpful and give wonderful advice so don't let the samll stuff get you down! We all misspell words, forget what we started to say, and much more....gosh, old-timers is bad enough w/o meds too! LOL! I know it hurt your feelings but I hope you can let it go and get back to being your kind, helpful self! Please! You have been through a lot and you don't need any stress right now!

Take care and have a good day!
  • It's a good thing that correct spelling isn't a prerequisite for posting on this board or we'd all be in trouble from time to time!

Don't take it to heart, Robin. Whoever wrote you was maybe acting out of frustration which has nothing to do with spelling. Keep sharing and being the supportive person you are.

How are you feeling lately, by the way? I can't read every post on the forum but I don't recall seeing an update from you lately. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • You know, I was doing an art & craft show,outdoors a couple of years ago. One vendor, had to smoke, she was hooked and she had chronic pain too, so trying to not smoke just raised her pain levels, Plus - these "Enlightened" folks felt that the proper way to get their point across was to pick on her. I watched this happen on Friday.

On Sat morning, I stopped at the convenience store on the way to the show and grabbed a $ cigar. I am talking about something that no one should smoke cause it really is bad! But you see, since I am a gimp, and have broad shoulders, I figured I would invite her to smoke with me, and Just let the first idiot open their mouth, about me smoking. Heaven knows that I would qualify for smoking the "Legal Tobaco", which I am sure would have gained a visit from the police, until I pulled out my "Tobaco card".

I do not spell perfectly, because I am a bit dislexic, I never could spell well, I get most of it right, but I never have perfected that part of it, so I dont worry about it. And so - if they wish to pick on my spelling, come ahead, but I don' think anyone will, based on the fact that you can understand my words and intent! I will try my best, but give me a break!
  • I didnt take it to heart too much, I figured that the person just needs more to do. I just found it unbelieveable that someone could be so hurtful when others are trying to be kind. But I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round!
    I am still in alot of pain from the hardware removal. But I hope it will go down. I am still hopeful that it was causing my pain.
    I go to U of I Hospital to get the tumor taken out from behind my eye socket on Oct 26. I am hopeful that it is just a fibrous growth or something. Not thrilled with having my head operated on, but oh well, here we go again. I am trying to be positive, sometimes it is just to hard...
  • Don't worry about a thing. I spell stuff wrong all the time- no big deal. It's the thought that counts.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    wrote a word and then looked at it and thought, that ain't right??? Even a simple word? I have but I can't think of the word right now. lol. While we're on a grammar kick can someone tell me when to use 'to' or 'too'? It's been a few years since I went to school. lol. It's just a good thing that whoever (or would that be whomever?)didn't like your spelling can't hear me talk...I'm a country girl and I sound like it. My son said that I try to sound proper when I write but I told him that I know the correct words I just don't use them. I shore don't. lol.

• has nothing else to do in life then to correct posts. What a patheic life to live. You keep up the typing- I look forward them.

• to and too

examples: I am going to the store; that is was too much

to is usually moving a distance, too is usually quantity, or a feeling like "i like that too"
  • appreciate your kind words so don't let them get you down!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks. That's what I thought. Now if someone can tell me why everyone says "an historic ___". I've heard a lot of people on tv say that and I don't get it. Why wouldn't it be "a historic ___".
    See, I've got too much time on my hands. Or on my mind maybe? lol.
    Robin, sorry to change the subject. I was just trying to let you know that your spelling isn't important here. It's the help, advice, and support you give in your posts. Please don't let that PM bother you okay. I make a lot of mistakes when typing because I'm not very good at it so it's hard telling how I spell some things. I don't think most people here will hold it against us. Take care and keep posting my friend.
  • You had misspellings? Huh. Hey, my drugs have me jacked up enough that it all made sense to me, in fact I didn't even realize there were spelling errors. So no matter what the spelling is like, you're still helpful and thank you for that!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    Not to minimize this, but if that person posted the information instead of in a message, they would have received a warming. I have always stated that the same rules apply
    to Forums, Chat and Messages, If you wish to make a complaint, telling us (in a message) who and what actually was said, I will handle it.

I can fully understand how you feel. I am a terrible spelling, I rely on the spell checker (which never takes into account grammar or how a word is used)

The purpose of this site is to help each other, members to members. I have received some much help here and hoped that I have given some back... Spelling is not part of how we help each other.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am glad you are being positive, I will be thinking of you and hoping you feel much better after surgery. You have a lot going on at the moment, yet you are still trying to help others.

Hugs and Take care

We all know what members mean in their posts, sorry someone had to make a big thing of a simple mistake.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Mr. NASTY! LOLOL! I needed that!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Then I am this persons worse nightmare & would be kicked off of every social internet site out there. I am a awful speller. Some people really don't have to much to do and life is really to short to worry about proper grammar and spelling on a friendship board. I appauled anyone that comes on this board and gives advice. Some people like picking others apart and that prevents others from posting. Keep strong girl and I love reading your posts and promise never be so pity!
  • It's very hard for a perfectionist to deal with their own problems so they project on other people's issues. I always excelled in spelling but needed special classes for English due to the way I lay out my words. I always flunk essays though as it's too structured and it has to follow form. What it's all about is listening to each other and being supportive. That's today's lesson if Mr. nasty is a teacher. You're a caring person and that must've affected you especially when you're reaching out to give or receive support. We're here for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Why in the world would someone take the time to PM someone about their spelling? Hmmm, does this person feel the urge to be correct, does this person feel better making others feel smaller than he/she? Robin, you didn't deserve that, and no one does. You're a special person Robin and we all care for you very much. Hope your pain diminishes soon.

Best to you,

• Robin, I cannot believe somebody would send you a PM because of a few misspelled words. OMG That's way over the top. I tend to misspell simple or commonly used words. These days that would be prescription and doctor. :))( Maybe the person that sent you the PM should get a job as an editor.

I love spell check BUT am careful about letting it change words. My best friend's last name was Mohr and spell check always wanted to make it Mohair. =)) She's married now so that's not a problem.

I hope you are feeling well and doing better. You are so sweet to try and help a Spiney Friend. Hope we don't start getting PM's over grammar errors. 8} >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Robin, that is just ridiculous!!! But, as you can see, that one person is way outnumbered by the rest of us who don't care about spelling, grammar etc. The important thing here is support, and you are a big part of that!!! Forget him/her, don't apologize for spelling mistakes, and keep doing what you do, and thank you for your willingness to help and be there for others!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • On a Car forum I am a member of that went off on someone about poor spelling in an add for parts. He went on and on about how he did not trust those people because after all how smart could they possibly be? I mean they are selling carparts and good grammar is essential to making people know you know what you are talking about.

The guys was roasted alive on the forum! I mean really, we were just a bunch of car guys, not linguists!
    My dad can fix darn near anything mechanical, but only has a 6th grade education because he quit to work on the farm!

Puhleez, Give people a break! Here we are just a bunch of peeple in pane, Sew watt if we kant spel wel?
  • Seriously? I don't know what to say! Somebody write this down! Dawn was speechless today!! Lol!
    Ok words are coming to me! But I will be sure to sensor them! Don't want to bring myself down to the level of the idiot who clearly needs to get a life!
    I know it takes all kinds to make the world go round! But is spineys deal with enough in our lives. We should be exempt from dealing with morons like that!
    Robin I sure hope you didn't let that idiot ruin even a second of your day! I enjoy reading your posts! And I don't care if you misspell a word. Shoot who doesn't?

And as for the principal, Mr. Nasty!!! ROFLMAO!! Thanks for that I think we all needed a good laugh!
  • There are people out there who have that type of personality where everthing has to be perfect - I am one.. BUT I only expect ME to be perfect and not necessarily everyone else. I agree it was a bit over the edge to address that at all.

BUT, if someone had an issue with anything I've ever printed, I would rather it be in a PM. Hopefully, who-ever it was has gotten the message that in the grand scheme of things - spelling's not all THAT important.
  • Dear Robin,

Please know that we appreciate you and we are thankful to have you here on Spine-Health.

You have such a kind heart and you help so many people who are hurting and are in need of support from others. We know we can come to you for a shoulder to lean on and you have a way with making the tough times much easier to get through.

It's a shame you had to receive a PM pointing out a misspelled word. We aren't at "work" (services rendered for monetary purposes) here on Spine-Health. It's a place to hang out in our jammies, sweats and comfy socks. Most of us are on narcotic medication and mistakes are going to happen with our grammar and spelling. Heck, I've received messages from a member who was still in the hospital! I was happy to just get a message from the person. I could never be judgemental over a misspelled word from a person in pain? Let's get real.

We love ya, Robin.

P.S. Hope the healing is going well since your surgery. Please keep us posted with your recovery.

• It doesn't matter about the spelling we can understand!
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/lighten-and-brighten/can-you-read-out-loud-me Take care Robin. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You made me smile: "It's a place to hang out in our jammies, sweats and comfy socks."

Wouldn't it be really really cool to be able to "work from home" like that?

(hey - a girl can dream, can't she?)
  • Hi Jeux,

You made me smile... by knowing I made you smile! :)

Yes indeed... a girl can definitely dream.

(I get some weird ones on Ambien, though. We won't count those!)

Hugs to you,

Tammy :)
  • I don't know how I can feel the least bit bad when I have so many wonderful friends here for me. I know it was silly to take it so personally, but I was having one of those bad pain days and it just struck me wrong. Anyway, all the warm thoughts and sentiments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You are all the best, and I have some work to do to be as good as you all say I am. Hugs and Happy Days to all.. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • :D :D :D

OMG, in this world of texting and twittering and whatevering -- someone corrected your spelling -- I guess that person should be on the obsessive compulsive forum (LOL!).

Ditto everything everyone already said to you in the above posts.

Your are loved Robin, just as you are! >:D< >:D<

• That is about the most petty thing I have heard of here on SH, and I've been around here for over 3 years. It is great to see you didn't let it bother you, and like Jeaux said, hopefully whomever sent it to you has received a message loud and clear from those who have supported you here.

I enjoy reading your comments. You are a great contributor here on SH. I try to be a good speller, but sometimes my fingers get ahead of each other and I transpose characters, like teh or htat. I should slow down, but hey, it isn't that big of a deal.

I hope you heal well with the tumor removal. keep posting!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!