Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware removal after new injury need help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, last July I had a 2 level PLIF L4-S1 and recovered nicely. I was back to work in 5 months and ended up having a bad accident at work (i'm a heavy equipment operator) which re-injured my previous injury. I had a myelogram done last week and received the results today from the NS. He said that a piece of bone has broken off and has displaced a nerve, he wants to do surgery immediately as i am in tremendous pain. He has to remove the hardware and said that this will be a very complex surgery I guess im just wondering what to exepect. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks. The 2 level fusion alone was rough I am really worried about what this will be like.

• Wow, I'm sorry to hear about what's happened to you. I'm afraid I don't have any medical or recovery input for you, but just wanted to let you know we're here for you.

When is the surgery scheduled for? What has your doc said about how long the surgery will take and recovery?

Take care and I'm hoping your surgery isn't too bad.
  • Yikes, that's not good news :(

I don't have much to add, as I didn't have any of the same experience.

I can add that my NS told me that hardware removal was not as big of a deal as when he put it in. BUT... are they going to be putting more in for you to stabilize your new injury? That broken bone stuff doesn't sound very good. I would think that you will be recovering for a very long time.

Do keep us informed and best of luck.