Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wonder what this new arm pain thing is.. Any idears?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
All my doc said was that the deep burn was nerve pain and we'd wait and see what it did. Well it ain't doing nothing but driving me nuts. It is in my elbow joint, and down my arm to my wrist and my skin hurts to touch it. I can't even have a shirt touch my skin - it's the wierdest thing. I can't lift with that arm, not because of strength but if I use my fingers very much, it starts really burning up my arm. What the heck is going on I wonder.

• Oh dear....It sounds like a pinched nerve. Is it more painful to lightly touch your skin than it is to press hard on it? If so it is a pinched nerve.
    I have a pinched nerve in my right thigh and at first the skin just felt numb and was like that for several months. Then the burning, stabbing pain set in!!
    I could press down on my skin and felt no pain but to run my fingers lightly over my skin was very painful.
    It finally cleared up on it's own thank goodness. It is very painful I know. But actually it's better to see if it will just go away than to try to locate where it is pinched.
    Type pinched nerve in a search box and you will find a lot of information about them.
    I hate to hear of this new pain.
    Best of luck dear.
    Please keep us updated.
    Patsy W
  • Sorry for your pain, but it sounds just like what he said. Nerve pain, or rediculopathy as us healthcare people call it. Medical-speak is just as frustrating as lawyer-speak!

I want to clarify on one thing. I am a nurse, but I am not able to diagnose anything. All I can do is speak from experience and offer advice. Nothing more.

There...got that out of the way.

BTW, I love your pic! I am horse crazy and have been since birth, I think. I finally live way out in the boonies on about 10 acres, but I am too sick to not only ride one, but to take care of it. At least I get to ride when we go camping!

So, may I infer from your pic that you have horses?
    If so, lucky you. For that one thing, anyway.

Take care, and I hope your doc can figure out something soon that helps with your suffering. Chronic pain of any form-especially nerve pain, sucks.
  • sorry you now have arm trouble. i just checked an earlier post of yours and you mentioned a previous fusion. i take it the fusion was in the lumbar and this arm problem is new. i sure hope its just a pinched nerve as patsy mentioned...anyway hope it gets better quickly....pete
  • Sounds like it could be related to a C7 or T1 injury. I have similar pain in my leg and my PM doc says it's coming from my L4-L5 herniation and stenosis.
  • I had a similar bout of the pain you mentioned and dr said I had a bout of tennis elbow and what he called nurse maid elbow at the same time, never had it before. He gave me 2 injections in elbow and a band like thing to put pressure on arm(bout halfway between wrist and elbow) and it went away after a few days. Never happened again and had nothing to do with my back... I thought it was from my neck and bad nerve pinch..Just was a freak thing, cuz I did nothing to bring it on... Hit me and i couldn't lift even a glass to drink without a shocking pain and almost dropping my glass from the pain.Go figure!
    Hope you figure it out, keep us posted!
  • My arm pain was caused from a ruptured disc and bone spurs in my neck. It does sound like a nerve related pain. I hope you feel better soon!
  • By the way, did you read my other post to you on the other page, the one that you can just chat about life and such? It was on Lisa B's post. :)
    Yes, that is what this feels like, I can press hard and it's o.k. but light touch is insane. Very wierd.. I hope it goes away too. I think I might have that in my hip. I always have the nerve pain running across it, but it is numb like you said and then starts burning like crazy so every 3 months I go have a cortizone injection in it that helps a lot. Wonder if that is what causes it. My primary doc said he didn't know but thought it was from where they took bone grafts but it isn't really in that area. I will do a search and read some more - good place to start..
  • Ya, that's my best buddy "The Blitz". He (and landing in the saddle wrong one time after jumping) is why I have back issues. LOL! I raised him from a baby, he is 17 now and I can no longer ride him anymore either. It really makes me MAD!!! But, I can still enjoy him everyday when I go out to feed him and stuff.
  • I do have nerve pain down my arms from my neck, too. But this was different and worse pain. Thought it was my neck too and the normal pain just getting worse.... But wasn't.
    And your horse is beautiful... I haven't been able to ride since I was 12, but when I was out in boonies growing up we always had horses and all I could do is luv'em and watch everyone else get to ride. I couldn't chance falling and severing my spine cuz of my grade 4 spondylothesis was already a hair from doing so anyhow. But getting to see him and care for him is better than nothing girl, he knows you luv him. That's just as important as riding, my opinion! He luvs you too!
  • Well Pete, I do have a scrunched disc in my neck and one in my upper back and I'm worried it has something to do with that. I sure hope not. Years ago the surgeon wanted to fuse the one in my upper back and I'm like no way - been there done that. I'll never have another back surgery. I hope it goes away too. It sorta comes and it goes, very odd. It was getting a lot better but when the weather went south it came back worse. It's getting pretty darn annoying! My horse has some feet issues and requires a lot of attention and even picking up his hoof to clean it and soak it just about kills me. I have to work around when my pain meds are working at the optimum level. Man this stuff just stinks majorly!!!
  • I, too had horses when I grew up in the boonies, Hollie.
    I am sorry you never got to ride them after you were 12 years old, and Mouse, I am sorry you can't ride your beautiful horse.

I told my guy that I wanted a minature horse at least. One of his co-workers has about 30 of them and said they would give one to me!! But we have so many coyotes in the area where I live-which is in Michigan. They are not, of course, native to this area. The stupid DNR moved them here to supposedly cull the deer population-which is truly out of control.

Well, the deer are doing just fine, but they killed two of our indoor/outdoor cats. Jim is afraid they would kill a miniature horse, also. I didn't want to ride it, just love it and care for it, as both of you horse lovers like to do.

I once had a horse that, when she laid down on her side, I could lie with her and put my head on her stomach. I felt so close to her then.

As always, hope all can find some answers to your questions and some relief from the constant pain.
  • Gosh, I know a ton of horse people in Michigan!! I plan on going out there sometime to visit in the next couple of years.
    Maybe you could get a donkey or something along those lines? They actually are really neat pets. If you PM me and if you want to exchange e-mails I will send you some pics of the cutest little guys you have ever seen! My friend Rich in Michigan just had a new one and he is adorable!!
  • "The Blitz" looks just like a horse i had several years ago in another time and another life.
    Now I just have my Pepper...my little rescue dog. I just adore her and she me. Rescue pets are wonderful!! They know you have saved them and they show you so much love.
    She is just a little thing but I pity the person who would dare raise a hand to me.
    Hope the arm gets better soon. A pinched nerve is horrid pain.
    My thigh was bad when I was standing or sitting. When I would lay down it was like someone had tossed boiling water on my thigh. I would get up screaming in pain.
    Patsy W
This discussion has been closed.