Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Losing control, unable toget to the bathroom

karenlkkarenl Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been dealing with back ,nerve problems for several months. I too have wet the bed, dreaming I was on the toilet. That is not what concerns me, I am sure healthy people have done so but may not want to admit it . My concern these days is that one minute no feeling of having to go , the next minute I can't get to the bathroo quick enough. Leaving me many times having to change my clothes. I have resulted in wearing protection to work and sometimes tht is not enough. I dont'now if this is all from the back , nerve problems

• Have you checked with your Docs? Not being able to retain urine doesn't necessarily have to be related to the back, but it definitely can be, and most likely is if you have back/nerve problems. Whenever bowel matters turn up, the first thing I think about is Cauda Equina. Probably because of the scare I had when I tried to go to the bathroom and couldn't, and then after a few hours whirled around and into emergency surgery.

I don't know about your back problems, and I don't know if you are familiar with Cauda Equina, but if you're not, please look it up.

And please have this checked out asap.
  • hi!!! :H please see a doctor right away. this is nothing to take your time about.. please keep us informed. i hope you are feeling better in no time and this problems is corrected soon! :D Jenny :)
  • perpetualtravel is correct...when i had that trouble my dr said i should go to the emergency room so i could be immediately tested...
  • Please read through the following information. Any time you have spine problems and then start to have bladder or bowel problems (either loss of control, or inability to go) it CAN be considered a medical emergency. It is good to be aware of this even if it does not end up applying to you because if the symptoms are ignored, it can end up in permanent nerve damage.

Not to scare you, but please read and then call your doctor in the morning.

• If anyone knows any good treatments for psoratic arthritis besides embrel let me know. I also have spinal stenosis and diabetes. Which complicates the back and leg problems. The docs. want me to have another fusion surgery L4-L5 now. I don't want anymore surgery and am going to do whatever else I can to avoid it. Thanks for anyones help!!!
  • My Dr. put me on baclofen and it is much better, nearly normal now.
  • i am dealing with the same issue. I called my Doc. monday and she was out with the flu, so i told the nurse and today is thursday no one has called me back yet

It is an awful feeling to have this happen to you.

i hope there is help out there!

• Karen,

Please go get that looked at and fast! I had the same issues, it turned out to be cauda equina! I waited almost a year to get it looked at and if not for my incredible back surgeon, I would be in diapers right now. I still have some nerve damage from waiting so long to get looked at but it is something I can live with. I had two doctors tell me that it was something a urologist needed to look at, they were full of it. IF you cannot feel it and then go, it is the nerves. If it starts to affect your other bathroom habits, it is so embarrassing I never want anyone to have to go through that! Good Luck!