Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical Therapy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Lower Back Pain
I just had my first session of aquatic therapy today and I am in tears~ And for a tough old broad like me, that is saying alot.

Has anyone ever really benefited from this torture? I know some will probably say, have them back you down a bit, but we did the "minimal" and I am in agony.

I'm sorry, I am not really a whiner, but this is just a bit much. We're supposed to go camping for four days beginning tomorrow and I think I would rather endure water torture then go camping! Jim needs another get-way so badly, so I will go and endure.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually lasted for them? I know we're all different, but I am just hoping this degree of pain will soon go away.

I'm so worried about the future. I have been sick off and on my whole life, but the last 5 years or so have been one downward spiral of new illnesses, disability, loss of a social life, loss of intimacy and the last few weeks, unbearable pain.

Well, I wlll go to eat now and then have myself a good long cry-or vice versa.

Oh, why am I trying to sound so tough, I am crying like a baby.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    When I went over from Land Therapy to Aquatic Therapy, I figured it was going to be a piece of cake.
    How wrong was I! I was miserable after the first session. It was as if someone had beaten my whole body with their fists. When I got home, I just laid down and I dont think I moved for a while.
    I was going to call my doctor and let them know that while Land Therapy is woking, I dont think Aquatic Therapy will,
    I am not a quitter, so I never called and went back to Aqua Therapy. I talked to my therapist and she told me that it wasnt that unusually. She did say make sure you drinking PLENTY OF WATER after the sessions.
    While I completed, the second, third and finally was discharged after about 30 sessions. And from that point on, I registered for the Independent Program, which is the same setup,exercises, just that you do not have a dedicated therapists (you do have qualified technicians watching you) and you pay out of pocket.
    I love being in the pool now and go three times a week for about 90 minutes each session
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I dont know what kind of therapy they were doing with you in the pool. But I had the same thing happen. You need to speak to your therapist and tell them that you had so much pain and that you need to change your activites. Maybe start with simpler things first. I told mine I would never come back if I was gonna feel that bad. I had annular tears, and it would have never helped it. But I do find relaxing in the therapy pool now after surgery is helpful. Hopefully, this has helped you.
  • Thanks Ron. I have been on vacation the last few days, so I kinda dropped the ball on my thread.
    I, too, am no quitter, so I will return to PT therapy today. Most of the posts I have read since state that the person got some benefit from the therapy. Thus, I will continue onward. The really bad thing is, Tuesday is my private voice lesson nite, and afterwards, my Community Chorus practice. Singing is my inate Talent, so to give this up (again) would be very hard for me. Lucky my doc increased my pain med threefold! (Darvocet, nothing too strong right now. ;))
    Thanks for responding. I really need the help and support on this board right now!

• Thanks so much for your input. I will ask my pool therapist to back down a bit. She asked me if it was too much, but, bone-head that I am, I said no. Until later in the day! 'Oww.'

I felt like telling mine that I was never gonna come back;
    kinda felt like somone had used me as victim in a blanket party!lol

A I told Ron, my doc upped my pain meds; I have been doing my stretches and ROM exercises, so I feel better...till after my session today.

Hey, I just had a stay of execution! The hospital where they conduct my therapy just phoned to cancel. Not good for my therapist, tho. Her Dad had a medical crisis that she had to deal with. Praying it is not too serious. I'm not THAT self-centered!

Again, thanks for the responses. I like this board...very kind and supportive people. :D
This discussion has been closed.