Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally, I am scheduled for surgery

DIFerrisDDIFerris Posts: 86
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I have been quiet for some time as I had issues with insurance company denying surgery for me. I have kept up with reading, but didn't see the use in posting that I was still appealing the insurance company's decision.

As of now, I am no longer employed (to be expected) and I've switched to my husband's insurance.

My NS's office submitted the paperwork to my current insurance company for approval. I also had an appointment with a different surgeon during this time to get a second opinion. The second surgeon is an Ortho surgeon with specialty in spine surgery. I ended up liking everything the he said and his approach. He touched on things that I had been wondering about all along. Specifically, I have 2 herniated disks, L4/5 and L5/S1. My NS had only been looking at L4/5 during my 2 diskectomies and was planning my fusion on that one level. There were some other things that I had been questioning as well, that the Ortho covered.

Well, wouldn't you know it, my NS's office called yesterday to tell me my surgery has been approved.

I thought this all through very carefully and talked it over with my husband. I think I am going to stick with the Ortho/Spine surgeon I just saw this week.

My surgery is scheduled for October 27th, and will be a 2-level fusion done anteriorly and posteriorly. Is that what is referred to as a 360? I am not sure.

I feel so relaxed now that I know I am finally going to have my surgery and get on the road to recovery and hopefully getting my life back.

I am so relieved and happy, and I just wanted to share that news with you all!

• So great that you have found a surgeon you have faith in. So important.

Best wishes to you,

• I think that is what is giving me a calm and more relaxed attitude right now... knowing I have faith in the surgeon I chose. I just hope I chose correctly. No way we can ever know for sure, right?
  • Hi Deanna :)))

Happy that you're going ahead now - it's so unsettling when you're in limbo isn't it. I had that when the second neuro knocked me back on surgery and then I to wait another few months to get in to see my current one. I found that once things started to move, I was so much calmer and my overall pain levels went down a notch.

So good that your ortho/spine surgeon explained things so well to you - when a doctor takes the time to go through your situation well, it does put you at ease, and that's what happened to me too. It gives you more confidence, doesn't it.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • make me feel calmer and that an end is in sight finally! The waiting is the hardest. When I was denied by the previous insurance company and going through an appeal, I had such a feeling of hopelessness... that maybe this was as good as it gets for me. Not a good feeling at all.

The upcoming surgery is a scary thought... I realize it is a large surgery and there will be intense pain afterward. But I have total confidence that the end result will be so worth it.

• Just wanted to say our prayers are with you and we are praying for your speedy recovery and a great outcome! God Bless!
  • joy joy joy...now you can have hope...my surgery is this monday for an scs. i wish it was today...not nervous at all just hopeful ... hope is contagious ... good luck....pete
  • So glad you finally got approved. It is so hard waiting. I know, I had to go through the appeal. But now you are on your way, and it sounds like you have a surgeon you have better repore with and that will also help. Good Luck. I am having surgery Oct 26 on the tumor in my head. We will have to share stories! Be talking to ya and again I am so thrilled that your waiting nightmare is over finally! Love, Robin
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm so glad that you've finally been approved for the surgery and that you're confident in your surgeon. I wish you the best. Good luck.

• Thank you all so much for the good wishes and prayers.

Pete and Robin, I will be thinking about you both on your surgery dates and hope all goes well. >:D<

I am getting back in preparation mode today. I had everything set up when I thought my surgery was going to happen in July, so now I have to read back through the notes and get prepared again. This time I can do it with a smile. Luckily we never took the day bed out of the living room after I was denied.

Hugs to you all, and thank you again! >:D<

• to you Deanna! I'm glad to hear that relief is finally on the way for you. It won't be easy, but I remember that knowing I would have a little more stability in my spine was a great relief to me. I've had a few little set backs along the way, but when I think back to those extreme lightning jolts of pain that would not allow me to do anything but wince and scream, I realize how much better I am now. I have a little pain and stiffness every now and again, but nothing like that torture. I hope it all works out well for you and you're feeling great soon.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I just had that done on Sept 15th- Go into with a can do attitude and you will do great. I am just finally getting to where I don't sleep all day and anll night- Ha- I am somewhat back to feeling normal however I over did it yesterday because I felt so so good and I paid for it!