Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal fusion

frankie062ffrankie062 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
1) Can I ask why so many people shy away from a spinal fusion.I have an unstable spine due to three emergancy sugeries in June /July 2009. A fusion has been recommended and booked for the 5th October.

2) How long am I likely to be off work for?

3) Does the bone doner site (my hip) hurt much after the op?

• Hi Frankie062,

Welcome to this site..Sorry to hear you need surgery..I'm recovering from a Fusion. I had ALIF/PLIF on L4-L5. I just started my 7th week..

I did see some relif from the surgery but still in pain and very tired.

I have a very complicated back history. I had more surgeries than I can count and I will tell you this operation is more painful then all my other surgeries..but, I do not regret it for a minute.
    The recovery is hard but I think it is worth it.

You will need allot of help for the first month then you will be able to take care of your self somewhat..

My husband had to work a month at home and then after that I had family helping.. I didn't use my own bone the Dr. use BMP instead...

Maria ~

spondylolisthesis at L4-5; stenosis,
    Lumbar surgeries 1999 L4-L5
    Lumbar staph infection 1999-2000"
    Meningitis x5 in 1999-2001
    Brain shunt 2000"
    Brain shunt removed 20001"
    ALIF/PLIF fusion 8/5/09
  • First of all good luck w your surgery. I had 3 lami's and a fusion of L4-5 w cadavar bone. I had heard that patients c/o most of the donor bone site. am at week 11 now and have been off pain meds since 2 wks post-op--ice worked better. my best advice is to walk and rest as much as possible post-op-- start walking slowly the first 2-3 weeks. after 6 weeks i could do what i wanted if no pain; b ut it is sooo easy to overdo and then you end up on the couch for a day or two!! I hope you have help for the first couple of weeks at home. Stock up on non perisiable food at home and lots of different fluids for variety. Can't answer about how long out of work as i am disabled due to asthma, so it was not one of my questions.
    In my case all the pre-op pain was gone after surgery --some new numbness appeared post op--which is normal; but they dont tell you that; but this should resolve after 6 months when the nerves regenerate. My thoughts are w you--keep us posted on your progress!!
  • My fusion I was pretty much down and out for a couple months with the first two weeks being extremely bad depending on everyone for everything.
    Im still not working however im getting ready for yet another fusion.
    All depends what job you have as you have restrictions after surgery that last quite long time.
    I didnt have bone taken from my hip, the doctor said he wasnt gonna put me through it if he didnt have to. He likened it to getting hit with a two by four on the hip.

Good luck with your surgery.