Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So bored

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I know this question was posted once or twice, but what does one do when they are too laid up to go out? I'm so bored that I cry out of frustration right now. I am so sick of being at home and I feel so cooped up. I'm broke too so there you have it- nothing to do and nowhere to go. God I want to rip my hair out, I'm so sick and tired of all this. I want a damned life. It seems like everyone else has stuff to do or somewhere to be and I'm just here rotting in my bedroom. I have nothing to do but vent. Don't know what else to do with myself.

• :D I challenge you to a pillow fight! That's something we can do while lying around (LOL!) Can you imagine a bunch of spineys trying to have a pillow fight without twisting and turning -- OMG!

Yes, I'm with you sister! Tired, tired, tired of the ferris wheel that won't let you off.

You know that bus that extreme makeovers takes around the country and when the reveal is done they shout "Move that Bus!" -- well we homebound spineys need our own show where they show up with a tripped out RV and get us out of the house! I know I sound silly 8} but how about a spa on wheels where you could get a pedi/mani or a facial or a much needed haircut and color. Or the bus brings a bunch of your favorite people over to hang out with you or cook you some fabulous food. How about your favorite artist showing up and giving a concert just for you. A trip to the mountains or the beach -- the smell of the salt air or the crisp aromas of a fall forest. Wind in your hair and sun on your face.

I know you feel detached from the world and I can tell that you are a vibrant person who wants to touch and feel and experience life. When I find that magic want, meydey, you're on my top ten list to wave it over. Let me think on this subject a little more and see if I can get my creative juices going to make some suggestions that might help.

I truly want you to have the life you want and I pray that medical advances will give you some better quality of life.

Thinking of you and sending a bunch of >:D< >:D< >:D< .

• I'm sorry you're not able to get out at all. I first started with forcing myself to sit on the porch for a few minutes a day and try to put some loose casual clothes on and just go for a little walk. I'm the same and haven't gone anywhere other than Dr appointments for injections and physio that didn't help me at all. Although the disc herniation is gone for me the pain from degenerative discs is rough. You're not alone in not having a life and being broke. Just enjoy each day as it comes and hope you're feeling better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I feel the same way. This chronic pain has me so exhaused I barely go anywhere except food shopping and a few other obligations.
    My ALIF is schedule for Nov. 18th and for a while I'll be even more housebound (hello backbrace!)Quality of life has gone down the toilet, then I have to deal with recovery and 2 young kids. It's enough to give me panic attacks just thinking about it.
    My depression got worse but my Dr. made a small increase in the zoloft and that was enough to stop the daily sobbing! This is a wonderful site to come to so you don't feel all alone.
    Anytime you want to pm me to chat or vent, please feel free. Take care,

• I TOTALLY can relate. I am so sick of mash reruns, HGTV and TV in general. I use the computer alot. I find things to look up info on. I have dogs, so I am always looking for info on breeds of dogs, i research alot about my back and now the timor I have. I try to go outside, and walk and just get air. It is hard. I know. I had to be housebound last winter from Dec through the spring. It was icey and you know what that does to a fusion recoop! Anyway, PM me anytime you need to vent. I am here. I also am not able to do much else. I had hardware taken out after 9 months, so I am about where I was last Dec again. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to Look REALLY HARD for it! Heres a hug >:D< Love, Robin
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Go ahead and vent...I hear you. I get outside a lot but as far as going anywhere I seldom ever do. As for broke...I'm in that club too. Guess that's a good reason to not go anywhere? lol. Might as well laugh...
    Hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care

• i like going outside for a while. i have a motor bike i get on and just sit for a moment. sometimes i'll just drive around the block. other times i take my wheelchair up to the street and say hello to any neighbors that might be around. another thing i did was walk backwards in the driveway but i had to stop that one when two guys in white coats dragged me away...lol
  • I know you can't walk and must stay off your foot.
    I feel for you girl. I really do.
    I'm thinking of you girl.
    Wish I could say something funny to make you laugh but But am Over My Head if ya know whar I mean.
    Patsy W
  • I am all for going outside, but Dont lay on the ground on a blanket. I tried to pick ruhbarb this summer. Well it isnt to hard getting on knees, but getting up was a whole different story. It is almost impossible for me without hurting my back. I ended up crawling over to a tree to help myself up. Now I am the original tree hugger! =)) =)) =))
  • I sure wish I could come up with something funny to post to put a smile on our girls face like you do. I could not come up with a blasted thing.
    Can I join you in the pillow fight??
    Sending you a hug Meydey.... >:D<
    Patsy W :H
  • Do you knit or crochet? What about taking up something like that, and you can make scarves, graduate to toques and if you get really good, sweaters and mittens!! Hospitals and shelters, Sally Ann, all sorts of places accept them for charity!! Then, you're not bored, you can do this laying on your couch or in bed or sitting in your recliner, and feel good about doing something to help others. Just a thought!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • How about a show Pimp my recliner or wheelchair or hospital bed for all us spiney's. I'd love a nice comfy tricked out recliner that has a little cooler for my drinks and outlets to plug in my heating pad, tens unit, laptop cord and a laptop pull out table.

How about pulling up a tour bus full of all of us SH members. The bus could be full of comfy recliners and go all around the world for us to reuninte and to cheer each other up face to face. Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to hang out with each other for real?

When I'm bored, I get up from the bed and go out to the couch and for some variety I go back to my bed lol. No just kidding. Now my kids have started school which means sports and other events too. My son is in soccer and cub scouts and daughter is in field hockey. In addition my husband drags me to the highschool football games even though I hate going cuz the bleachers are so uncomfy even with a padded seat, pillows, blackets etc. I am constantly running the kids to practice, games and the puppy outside to potty or cleaning up his mess cuz he just learned how to lift his leg and mark all over the house (this is the dog, not my husband lol).

My husband always says I'm going to hurt anyway so I might as well do something fun and get out of the house. He doesn't understand that I hurt even more when I do these things.
  • You are NOT alone, I think we have all hated our beds and bedrooms at one time or another. Something that should be so comfy and inviting can really turn into a torture chamber at times.

I get sick of tv, movies, puzzle books and even sometimes reading. I crave entertainment, company, or even something to do with my hands. I do crochet, and have done some lately, but it makes my hands ache and my neck hurt so I am limited to a little here and there.

I have gotten used to being housebound, errands only on MUST DO basis. Coming to this board has helped me more than anything else. Knowing I am not alone, and learning new things to try.

It isn't easy living like we do, but it's our cross to bare, and somewhere there is someone waiting for us to help them learn to live with this mess too.

I hope you feel better soon, I know it can be depressing and feel like you are totally alone, but we are all here for you.

Gentle Hugs
  • I appreciate all of your help and it's always wonderful to know that your friends have your "back" ;) It's been one thing after the other and I've had to take care of one child with the flu too. On top of that I've started feeling lousy as well.

I would love for all of us to get together for a grand pillowfight...but please- take meds ahead of time :D Then reserve your ambulance of choice for later. Seriously, it wouldn't matter because it'd be so much fun. How does that saying go again...no pain no gain?

Yeah, everything was getting REALLY old...tv, movies, computer, books, etc. I want more. I watch the Travel Channel and I'd give anything to be OUT THERE. There is so much to do and I had my mini meltdown because of frustration. I honestly don't feel depressed because Cymbalta helps my mood a lot. But I am human and I'm known to pitch fits here and there.

What would I do without you guys? I am grateful and appreciative to everyone from the bottom of my heart. Thanks :H
  • Good luck, Meydey! I agree, this site helps to remind us we're not alone. Pillow fighting sounds good to me...

After a while, chronic pain can make you feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, I've found! What I do is try to get out as much as possible. It's not always an option, but I try to as often as I can, just to be out and among other people. I live alone, so don't have the support and company that many others with chronic pain enjoy. I find the isolation is as bad as the pain, in its way.

• Well - Its Monday, But, I got on my motorcycle and went for a ride. Been a couple weeks since I felt well enough to ride, but it was good. Quite cold up here on Sat morning.

I drive in 20 minute cycles, that's about as much as I can take at once. Then I stopped and took pictures of everything around me.

Had lunch at about 2:30 A&W rootbeer and burger, onion rings! Heck that was a kids meal!

Stopped at about 4pm and had a cigar, nice cuban. Spent about 40 minutes smoking that one! Really enjoyed sitting on the bike and looking at the scenery.

Then I was off driving home. Got there at 5:30 and my sweetie was just home. She was tired too, day of teaching class. I sat outside , feeding the squirrels and enjoyed the sunset.

After that - I got my big rig running and gamed for about an hour, nothing like a video game to get the blood rushing!

Sunday - I paid for running the bike on Sat, but I still have a smile on my face today! LOL

I hope your day is better! - cheers - David
  • I am so glad that the new shows have finally started for the season. I've been even more bored while my regular shows weren't on (criminal minds, CSI, bones, The office to name a few). I've been watching a lot of animal planet, national geographic and history channel but they only have so many shows before they turn into reruns. Some days my biggest accomplishment is getting enough energy to brave the stairs I have to climb in order to get my mail.

Being a part of SH has helped keep me from going mad with boredom.
  • Hi everyone,

I can really relate to all off the people who feel frustrated, live in pain and want their old lives back. I am also having a problem with family and their attitudes in dealing with my difficulties. I was just told by my significant other that because I cannot go out tonight to a friends house that "I should check my attitude" because I have been a B#@*% lately. I live in the Northeast U.S. and the weather is changing now. The cold weather is a terrible time for me. It causes more pain and I am afraid of falling on ice. So I stay here in my "coffin" and do nothing all day.

Does anyone have any advice as to best handle family and friends who seem to be sick of hearing about how lousey I feel. My fusion was 4 yrs. ago but the lower level needs to be done soon. I also have perm. nerve damage and lose my balance alot so I walk with a cane. I am also in your shoes Meydey as far as being broke too. The person who ran the red light that started this had no insurance, and long story short I was left with nothing.

I am on new meds now that started out well but are losing their effectiveness. Anyone have any advice? Thanks for letting me vent, sorry to be so long, I get kind of lonely. The dog tries but I don't understand woof, woof yet!

Thanks, Donna
  • David, good for you- I'm glad you got to ride your bike and have a cool day B)

Ming, I think I watch just about every show on television. I love Mad Men, Nat Geo; HGTV keeps me motivated enough so that my home doesn't look like the one on Hoarders :D, and you gotta love Hell's Kitchen. I wish THEY would come cook for me. And I'm a big History Channel fan too.

Huggy, I hear what you're saying..everyday can feel like the same ol' s&(^. We have to come up with different ways to change things up when we can.

PS I'm recovering from bronchitis so there'll be plenty more tv watching in my immediate future...just for a while longer :''(
  • If it wasn't for the Internet I guess I'd go out of my mind. So it is the Internet that is helping me from getting too bored.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • I'm so sorry to hear about the lack of understanding and support you are getting from your family and friends. I am dealing with the similar situation. They just don't understand unless they've experienced with the same pain. My husband says he's sick of hearing me complain all the time about not feeling good or my back hurting. I thought I was doing really good about not complaining that much. I don't even tell him all the times I'm hurting cuz I'd constantly be saying it.

If you ever need to chat or have any questions or just need some support or someone to listen, please feel free to PM me. I'm really glad you found spine health as we all understand what you are feeling and going through and we are here to support others in our same situation. I know that I felt so alone in my pain and suffering until I found this site. It has really help me in dealing with my own situation knowing there are others out there that understand what I'm going through and how supportive everyone is on here.

I wish you the best of luck and just remember that in order to be healthy you need to focus on yourself and your pain and not push yourself just cuz someone things you have an attitude problem or are just being lazy. They will never understand until they are in your shoes.
  • Sorry to hear you are down with bronchitis meydey. I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • I was hoping ya'll would tell me. I can't get on my motorcycle. I haven't been able to enjoy it all summer. I guess I should sell it next spring. I thought I would use this time to organize all my pictures on my computer but my power supply went out on it a week ago and I am waiting on the part to it so I am using my mini dell or blackberry to surf the net which is ok but gets very boring.
    I am puzzle booked out and threw one across the room today just because I didn't feel like holding it any longer. TV is very boring.
    SH should put a game on here like pillow fight were we can send feather flyihg. OR Mafia Wars and we can wipe out evil spinal disorders! That would be a blast!!!!
    Do you draw or paint? Can you cross stitch? You just gave me an idea on getting started on Christmas gifts. Thank you for that. Now I just need to remember where I put everything.

Hope you find something soon. I know you just helped me find an idea. THANK YOU. >:D<
  • I know how bored you are. I am too. But if not for my computer, I would go insane. I surf the net, for lots of ideas for my house, helath, dogs, and the list goes on and on. In fact since December I think I have surfed it all. Yep, I'm done! LOL There was a commerical about that, that just cracked me up. Anyway, enjoy the fall, cause we all know whats coming, and the last one was right after my fusion and it was the worst for ice and snow we have had here in Iowa for a long time. Go figure. Have a good day, and keep your chin up...Love, Robin
  • I'm still here...a bit bored but sane. Thanks for your ideas and encouragements. There are days were my mind is ready to tackle anything but my back says Hell to the NO :( Oh well...try again tomorrow. I try to keep my bedroom tidy and I'm into aromatherapy too..I have plenty of scented candles. As much time as I spend in here I might as well make it look nice. It's been raining a lot too so there's not a whole lot to do unless you have a wad of cash and a mall nearby. Besides, I have to enrich my local pharmacy because it's refill time again...just kidding. Well, I hope you guys have a nice and painless weekend :H
  • With the new season coming and winter at it's heels, it so easy to get bored. The internet is a wonderful thing and can help a lot, but sitting too long can get difficult too.

Right before my surgery my husband bought me a Nintendo DS. I have quite a variety of games - solitaire cards, mahjong, seek and solve (my personal favorite), etc. This little thing is so portable and you can order the games online. It has really helped curb my boredom and keeps my mind moving when my body can't.

You might want to think about getting one. You can even use it while you're reclining. If any of you decide to get one, let me know and I can tell you about some of the games.

• Unreal Tournament 2004, Call of Duty 4,

keeps the mind going, and you can game with friends!

Cheers C45
  • Unreal Tournament 2004, Call of Duty 4,

keeps the mind going, and you can game with friends!

Cheers C45
  • If you're on Facebook, try Typing Maniac, it gives the digits (and the brain) a workout for sure!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • My kids have first dibs on Nintendo DS- I promised to get each one their own really soon. Now I have an excuse to buy a third one- boredom is bad for spiney health. Really.

Hey guys, at least we have college football and the NFL going on. And the NBA's starting up in late October too. What would we do without sports or the internet?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I think it was Patsy W. When I was having a long bad pain spike.
    That said, If nothing else, She can sit on the porch and watch the seasons go by.
    I thought, what a good idea, It's better than sitting here in the house, feeling bad! So I took her advice. And felt better for it!
    Good luck, Jim :)))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.