Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swollen feet/ankles after L3-4 Laminectomy with Spinal Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. My husband had surgery a wk ago, 9-17-09. He has had swelling in feet and ankles and had an ultra sound done today to rule out clots. Both feet. He feels that it becomes worse in the evening. He is not taking any diuretics but is taking Gabepentin (sp), hydromorphone, narco and the end of a medrol pack. He is walking about 10 mins now after sitting for 20 mins. We are a little frustrated. Anyone have any suggestions???? Thanks, in advance

• swollen feet and ankles are a side affect of neurontin...have him tell his dr.
  • I will tell him. Seems that the medical staff should know this b/c we had to give them all this information before, during and after.........
  • i was on neurontin for 5 years and told my dr about swelling. finally i read a report myself in drugs.com and found out the neurontin was the cause. it can also cause weight gain. oh be careful when drug is stopped that it is tapered gradually....pete
  • Did they fit him for TED stockings after surgery? You can get them at hospital or medical supply store. I'm sure you can call the Surgeon to get a script sent to the drugstore that insurance covers the cost of them but don't quote me on that. Wear them during the day and off at night. I hope he heals well otherwise. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I forgot to mention that this is his first fusion, but 5th laminectomy so I am somewhat familiar with the recovery having been thru 4 w/ him in addition to heart by pass and after each the stockings were worn home from the hospital but this time, NOT. I questioned it and they said "No, not needed." But what the hell do I know! lol.