Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glad 2 know not alone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
So overjoyed that there is a forum for those of us who are stuck w/spinal issues.

My issues started in 2004 (at 40 yo) when I somehow picked up MRSA, resulting in a spinal abscess that ran (by the time they did the MRI) from L1-S2. Was the worst 2 weeks of my life and something I wouldn't wish on even the most evil person - went from feeling I slept funny to 3 days later not able to get out of bed w/out assistance - by the time of the MRI couldn't walk, right leg moving constantly autonomously, and, other than the ER shot 2 days b4 of hydromorph and mix of other pain killers + percocet scrip, probably would have killed myself from the pain. Went from MRI straight to our local trauma room to evac to Fairfax Hospital in VA.

After 1 wk in hospital and 3 months of central line Vancomycin (and removal of over 3 cc's of fluid from my spine), we got the MRSA; unfortunately, it left my lumbar spine completely damaged. After 3 facet joint injections and an epidural w/in 6 mos in 2005-06, my ortho insisted that there was no choice - my lumbar spine was completely unstable.

He did minimal invasive surgery in 2006 w/2 rods and 6 screws to stabilize L4-S1 in addition to a facetectomy and a laminectomy and disc replacement at L5. Another 6 months of PT and was off any support devices. Thought the world had realigned itself.....hah, little did I know...

Still have pain in the L4 region and sciatic numbness that runs from hip to toe (although didn't realize until neurologist showed me that don't feel in left toes). Still on Lortab (3 per day) and Lidoderm patches to try and control the back, but pain doc says my latest MRI's show deterioration in the L2-L3 area now.

Not much I can do as my ortho says add'l surgery would be meaningless - sad that this is probably as good as it's going to be at 46 and gonna just go down hill from here. I miss my volleyball, softball and bowling... :(

• It's rough you've been through so much but it's great to be able to vent away here and get support from others who feel your pain. I think I would've lost it if I didn't check in here everyday or so for some support or just to read others posts. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I do understand how great it is to find a site like this. I think that most of us here felt the same way when we found it. Good luck to you and I will se you around the forum.