Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here but have known pain a while...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all my hurting homeys..

I wanted to introduce myself. I am a 31 year old mom with history of low back pain and sciatica going back to 1998-2000. I had no health insurance other than Champus (dad was an Army Vet and I was in college) so I dealt with the pain for 2-3 years until it became bearable. I eventually married my sweet husband and we are blessed with great medical insurance and I am able to get the help I need.

I have Degenerative Disc Disease, Stenosis and a couple Lumbar Disc Herniations thrown in just for good humor. :) I also have a bit of medication induced Epilepsy just to keep the doctors on their toes. Nothing like waking up with a bunch of hot looking firemen working on you. GRIN I'm not currently on any anti-seizure medication, I just read, read and read some more before I take any medication just to check on the risk of anything lowering my already low seizure threshold.

I had weight loss surgery (Lap Band) back in 2005 and originally lost 140 pounds rather quickly when I was employed full time and running around like a "chicken with her head cut off". After losing around 70-80 pounds the pain in my low back returned. I consulted a chiropractor who was the devil in a human's body and hurt me more than he helped. I have worked with the same Spine Surgeon for several years and was recently referred to PM after having the last injection I can for a while as I've had the maximum allowed in a year. My surgeon has recommened a fusion but my weight is not currently stable enough for him to be comfortable with proceeding. I've regained about 1/2 my weight and I'm around 230lbs at the moment. I can lose or gain 20 pounds in a matter of a week or two. I need to focus on weight loss and strengthening my back at the same time.

As far as meds, I've tried Tramadol but had a seizure and had to discontinue it. So I've been on varying strengths of Hydrocodone for the past 3 years. My most recent was 10/325's at max 6 per day. They provided almost no relief. I had an appt. with the PM doctor and was given a script for Avinza 30mg (time-released Morphine)once per day and Hydrocodone 10/325 up to 4 per day as need for break through pain. For the first time in a very long time I have a little bit of hope. I'm also starting a more intense physical therapy than I was previously in and a TENS unit.

I've been "lurking" for a while but decided to join the hurting but trying to be happy and lead a somewhat normal life. My next step is a Spinal Cord Stimulator test drive.From what I was told today I have a fair amount of "wiggle room" left on the Avinza as he started me on the lowest dose possible saying we will go from there once I start physical therapy. For the first time in a very long time I am starting to see a little pin point of hope in my tunnel that has been dark for a while.

• I'm happy to hear the slow release morphine is helping so you feel more up to doing physio. I'm a goner without Ms Contin. My Dr. had to increase it up to 4x the amount to get to some normal moving out to the porch and back in the house. I'm awaiting a Neurosurgeon appointment in a couple of weeks then starting physio probably after that. I hope you have some success with strength endurance and weight loss. I've struggled with weight also and I was 220 2 months ago and after getting a 1x then 2x wardrobe which I couldn't afford I lost 30 lbs. in 2 months and back down to size 14. My herniated disc has cleared up although I have DDD throughout my L1-S1 and know that's is about as painful as the disc herniation too. I was going to try pool therapy next as traction and all that didn't help me. Talking about hot firemen my cousin just got married to one 2 weeks ago and on her 30 day honeymoon cruise right now. That must've rough to experience a seizure though and to awaken like that. Great support here to help through your days ahead. Take care and keep us posted to your progress. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • i am happy that you have decided to join us here at spine health its a fantastic e site and there are some wonderful kind people on here too i hope that you find this site as warm and friendly as i do
  • We all lurk, with one of my first post I jumped in with both feet and now smile at the initial response, that group norming and forming are integral aspect to those initial musings, I continue to develop my supportive side and always looking for supportive and encouraging ideas.

Realistic hope is something we can all relate with and the experience of darker moments vivid in our journey, having been to the dark side I vowed never to return and sought an appraisal of how I had arrived at that situation as a template of not returning.

You have done well to reduce your weight and address pain issues and how we survived that unliveable pain period a measure of how strong and resilient we are, it is also a scale of how much we have improved and the journey we have all travelled.

We welcome you here and hope our supportive words and listening skills help.

• You have certainly come to one of the greatest sites on the web for support and sharing of experiences related to spine pain. I went to a chiropractor one time and that was enough for me. His cracking of my neck I'm sure contributed to my problems there. I take MS Contin twice a day, which has given me more mobility. I'm at the lowest dose as well and hope not to have to titrate it up for a while.

Best wishes to you,

• I also went to a chiro in the beginning and it helped for a while but eventually made things worse. It seems that things may be looking up for you now. Good luck and please do keep us posted.