Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spazd muscles starting to let go with new meds.... Ouch!

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Chronic Pain
I've always known your muscles will spasm around a condition to protect it so to say. Now i've been taking baclofen ( which thay give people with ms)instead of soma and they are letting up. Now I'm feeling deeper pain that was overtaken by the muscle pain. And my muscles feel sore from being spastic for so long. The spine pain is even more intense, I thought the spasms were bad, now I feel why they were so spazd.
Sheesh, I almost wish they still were.

• Hi Hollie

Just read your post therenow, that sounds really painful.....is it worse now than before Hollie??, maybe after a while you might feel better?? hopefully. I have never taken baclofen, but i have heard it is good, a friend of mine who is on a scooter now because of an accident involving her back.......she is on it and thinks it helps her, although i dont know how long it took for her to get relief, maybe when the deeper stuff relaxes a bit you will have ease Hollie........its hard to know what to take isnt it....to get relief, hope your pain eases up...Viva!!!
  • My spasms have been chronic for years, that's probly why they feel so sore.
    The deep pain I'm feeling is my spine, what the muscles have been protecting. It really hurts bad, and feels unstable like. I go back to dr in a couple if weeks, I might need adjustment in new pain meds, she just put me on 15mg mscontin. I've used this baclofen before, just samples but couldn't remember what it was for and how good it worked. Well it's working good. Sheesh, feelin like I've been run over. I've always had pain but now it's diferent and crazy!
  • Hollie, One of the possible side effects listed on "one of those other sites" states possible muscle pain as a side effect of baclofen.

Is the pain central to your spine or "everywhere"? you may want to call your doctor for advice on this one.

I can't take stupid things like claritin, between day 3 and 5 I get a very deep pain in my lower back that grows, then I get severe hip pain. I stop the meds and it goes away in a few days. It''s repeatable for me, I tried as I have allergies and they can get nasty, I have to rely on Benedryl.

Sorry for rambling on, just thought I'd mention the thing about muscle pain.
  • Hopefully the Baclofen will end up giving you relief from those spasms. I used to take Soma long ago but now I do fine with Zanaflex. Believe me I understand how terrible muscle spams are. Get well soon >:D<
  • Seems to be very common post spine injury or surgery for muscles to spasm and just not realize they are causing as much pain as some of the damage!

I take flexeril, it is a giant help in my back pain. My PCP & PM, both or them, never so much as whispered about muscle spasms and pain. My shrink gave it to me for sleeping as he thought it would relax my shoulder and back to help me sleep. wow, I can finally sleep again! It took the shrink to figure it out!

• Thank you!
    I just got call back from pm's nurse. She talked to dr and said it's normal, and to do some stretching. But if it continues to get worse to call again.
    I am lying on couch doing stretches. Omg!
    My spine is feeling week, like it's hard to hold head up cuz neck feels week without the muscle tension holding it up, and spine pain is horrid.
    Every muscle in my body is week feeling and hurts.
    Even the muscles that I never realized I had,lol!
    I looked up baclofen, wrambler, but didnt see the muscle pain you said.
    Well, hope this calms down.... I'd almost rather be spazzed than this here.
    But we'll see what happens!
    Thanks again for your replies!
  • glad to see it is releasing you spastic muscles. 9 months ago they change my meds from baclofen to zanaflex - neither have been able to release my muscles - they are in constant spasms from my jaw line to my bra line. A really bad day is when the lower back muscles start to contract as well.

yes, baclofen and zanaflex are given to ms patients - a very good friend of mine who has ms is on both for your condition.

• My pm prescribed me baclofen at my first visit with him back in July, as my muscles were severely spasmed. It gave so much relief at first!! The muscles are still spasmed, but not as bad as what they were. I do find that my muscles are tender when they've loosened up, but it's not as painful as the nerve pain for me. My sister has ms, and she takes it as well. Hope you're feeling better!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thank you for replying.
    I'm feeling much better muscle wise. But the neck and spine is quite weak feeling and is hurting. Like the muscles aren't spazzed enough now to help support me holding it up.
    I'm sure my pm will adjust meds for pain next visit, in a couple of weeks. And hoping she gets started on the 3 esi's she's wanting to do for sciatica for the pain there.
    Hope you both have a good day! Thank you again!
  • Hollie,

Here is link to bacoflen and the side effects. Towards the button you will see a side effect of the drug is weakness.

• Thank you, I read it!
    My muscle soreness has calmed down. Been doing somr serious stretching.The neck and spine pain/ weakness is whats getting me. It's like the muscles were spazzed before and helping me hold my head and spine up, if that makes sense to you. It hurts bad. Like I'm feeling the reason they were spazzin in the first place. I do notice I have less muscle tone and some atrophy that I didn't notice with the spasms.
    I'm sure my pm will adjust my meds when I see her again. I'm taking 15 mg mscontin 2 x aday and 10mg baclofen 3 x aday and am off the hydracodone and soma now, that I weened myself off at her advice. Hopefully when I get the scs removed it will help the pain also. And then maybe get a MRI to make sure nothing else is going on.
    I feel like I have another disc out in neck and I say that cuz it feels the same as last two I had surgery for. So idk whats all going on yet.
    But thanks again fir the info and luckily it's the only side effect so far.

• I understand how you are feeling. I have had both my PCP and my PM doctors tell me that I have what they refer to as "spinal tremors". Puts me in mind of EARTHQUAKE !

For me I don't know what is worse the spasms or them relaxing. I think the spasms are seriously bad when they make my shoulders draw back and my head curl backwards, then my legs become so tight that I can barely make it to a chair or bed.

I have had them so bad during an MRI that the tech gets really upset because a 20 MRI turns into a 45 minute ordeal where they keep telling me to stop moving. (I wasn't the muscles were). I had a sleep sudy done (Sleep Apnea as well) and in the video they watched as the spasms made my entire body jump all night. this video was sent to my PM as well. That is when he doubled my Zanaflex to 8 mg.

Yes my muscle spasms hurt like mad, but it hurts differently when they try to make them relax. It's as if the muscles are doing their best to support a weakened spine. And this is the pain I am hoping the SCS will help control. I don't know what else to do because the pain meds don't seem to touch this type of pain for me.

Hope you get some relief soon.

• I know.. mine have finally let go but also feel them trying to spaz some but not so extreme. The burning pain of the spazzes is the worst along with the pulling and deformity of my whole bodily structure. And I jump and twitch bad in my sleep too. Almost as bad as having one of them falling dreams where you jump and it wakes you up.My scs did feel good,way back when,on the spaz but did not relax the muscles. Maybe getting them relax by meds and then the scs on top will help. And yes, I have recently turned mine on to see, but still shocking.
    I do want to try the esi again in neck if once I have my scs removed and don't have something else, like another disc out. But I really think I do.
    Good luck with your scs! I really hope it helps you!
This discussion has been closed.