Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 years post L4/5 PLIF - inspiration

abbiejoyaabbiejoy Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi there all,
for those of you that may remember me and for those who dont. my surgery seemed to be a success, 2 years on - i have been able to take up running/jogging, and on october 25 09 i will be running for charity (childrens charity) in the UK's Great South Run (10 miles), i have been running since the beginning of the year and i feel honoured that i am able to do this type of exercise - i certainly did not think i would ever be able to do something like this - ever. I wanted to share this with you all, and to also thank you guys for all the support that you gave me when i was recovering from my 2 surgeries - i certainly did not think i would ever lead a normal life again.
I do check in every now and again but not as often as i'd like - due to work/etc/busy life.
my moto now is - anything could be possible!!

• Abbie - It is so good to hear from you. I am so happy for you and your outcome. Keep moving! Terri
  • Hi Abbie

So happy you're able to run, and to do this for charity is terrific.

Your success is an inspiration for me with surgery coming up in a few weeks, not that I'll be running after recovery - just a bit too old for that LOL but lots of walking, yes.

Keep running and enjoying life.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • for your success story!!! And so wonderful that you are paying it forward by running for charity. Being able to walk better is my goal right now. Someday, I hope to be able to hike again.

Best to you,

• thanks guys -
    trish - im not a youngster either, lol
    i am a grandmother - but a youngish one.
    i just wanted to throw a little positivity out because i remember when i was post op - i thought that was it for any further activity. ive never run before in my life. im doing it for a charity which provides respite care for terminally ill children - it just makes me feel proud to do something for others for a change - my life was so wrapped up in my own pain and suffering, i couldnt think of anything else.
    take care and good luck to those waiting for surgery xx
  • So glad to hear of a good outcome and your work for charity!! All of this 'taking it easy' just may be worth it!
  • just to let you know i completed the run of ten miles in 1 hour 43 mins, im dead pleased xxx
  • Abbie, I have cried on here occasionally about how much I miss jogging, it really was something that gave me so much joy. I had really given up all hope of returning to it, then I read your post and I am determined to have hope, even if it is a 5-10k for me I would be happy. Thank you and may you run many, many more days ahead.
  • You are an inspiration to all us spineys. It is great to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is wonderful that you are now using your renewed health to help others in need. God Bless your efforts!