Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mri of c spin

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been having severe pain from the base of my head down and around my neck and it affects my shoulder and down my left arm. My Xrays are normal they are sending me for an mri of c spine. Also severly claustaphobic...what exactly do they do, during this procedure do you need to wear something around your neck. Also my dr. gave 20 mgs of valuim is that enough will that make me not care...if anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate any support.

• i am 36 years old, do people that young usually have spine problems??
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry you're having pain.
    Here a link I hope can help with your mri fears...http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=spinemr
    I'm sure you will do fine with the test. It's very useful in diagnosing spinal problems.
    Most of us here have had spinal problems since our early thirties or even sooner. There are a lot of members here in their twenties and some in their teens. Age doesn't make a lot of difference.
    Good luck. I hope you find out what's causing you pain and get a treatment plan. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• I've had spine problems since i was a kid.lol.i just never knew where the pain was coming from. i found out i had a really bad neck when i was 35 but i had been seeing doctors for three years before they discovered what my problems were. I've had six mri's on my neck area and i can say that i'm mildly affraid of going in the tube.I never have to take anything but i don't enjoy it. I keep my eyes closed and just relax as much as i can.I always found it more uncomfortable to lay still to have it done.The table is very hard. I have mine done at three different places and everyone of them did the mri differently. One place gave me headphones with music,another was just ear plugs and the last one put a plastic cage over my head so i couldn't move during the test. I'm not sure how much valium that is that your doc. gave you but if your not sure if its going to be enough call and let them know how terrified you are and make sure you have enough.You don't want to have to miss out on this test. GOOD LUCK!
  • Tammy and Debbie thank you so much for replying...I hope we finally get some answers, basically i have no life right now until I get some answers
  • It's not uncommon to have back or neck issues at any age. As far as the MRI it usually takes about 15 or 20 minutes, you will change into a gown, put ear plugs in, because the MRI machine makes somewhat loud noises. They will probably just put some padding on each side of your head , so that you don't move, Then you just lie still and you will slowly slide halfway into the machine. There is no pain, they usually give Valium to people that are nervous or claustrophobic. I usually fall asleep. Just take your Valium and don't worry about anything else. It is a great tool for seeing any problems that you might have. I'll say a small prayer for your courage and let us know what the findings are and someone will help with any questions about the results
  • I JUST had an mri of my c-spine and my skull. I am a little claustaphobic so I just close my eyes as soon as they start to move me back into the opening and I don't open them til they move me back out! The last 2 times I had mri's they gave me earphones with music... just make sure they get them over your ears good, if they offer them. It helps some - I took a pain pill and a xanax just because they said mine would take 1.5-2 hrs due to the skull mri. My daughter said.. isn't it like being in a tanning bed. That helped me relax a bit. I just hope your outcome of their findings is better than mine... that is the scary part for me!!
    God Bless!
  • i started having symptoms of pain at 36, i have spinal stenosis DDD arthritis,radicolopathy, and peripheral neuropathy. i am now 45 and my symptoms are getting worse.

Best of luck to you, i am sorry you too had to find us on here.