Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet Joint Injections

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
HI Everyone

My neurologist had offered this as an option. I've been on neurontin for about a month now without any improvement. Before I build up to a huge dose of this stuff I am wondering if I should try the injections.

These are some of my questions..

1 - I've heard that the injections are useful to diagnose where the cause of the pain is. Any one have luck with this?

2 - Doc seemed ready to do injections that day. I've read that they are extremely painful and that you should have someone with you. True? Also were you OK to go back to work/etc the next day or did it take a day or so? My herniation is at T1/T2 supposedly.

3 - I know everything has side effects - how bad is the neurontin in the long term?

I'm leaning toward the injection because I don't want to just mask the pain. I want to know what the cause is and then be able to make an informed decision on treatment. I feel like I am not getting very far with the drugs and PT.

I know everyone is different but I'd like to hear what others have experienced. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Welcome Kris,
    The injections are a good non invasive way to pinpoint the problem. They will inject lidocaine first so you shouldn't feel much discomfort. They usually want someone there to drive you home, because they will give you a I/v and some happy medicine to make you feel calm during the procedure. Most people can go back to work the next day. The actual procedure is pretty quick and not too much to be alarmed about.
    Let us know how they worked for you.