Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In pain :(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everybody,
My name is Arabella, 29 years old always in good health active and happy until past June o8' that I bend to pick up something from the floor and pain started ... I have seen several doctors that I lost the count and to think about it makes me feel sad and revives everything I have gone through ... It is so hard to live with pain so hard that I wouldn't have never imagine this... Looking normal phsysically even some people say you look great but as you don't have a cough or have a death threatening illness people just can't relate and or understand the pain many of us go through ... In my search for being ok and hopes to be normal I even left the USA which has been my home for the past 9 years because the implant I needed or was going to solve my problem was not available to patients there yet since it is new in the USA so I had to come back to my country in June 09 to have surgery with a well known surgeon here and have coflex, interspinous spacer put on me at level L5 S1 where I have a herniated/ruptured disc because I didn't want to have a fusion in the US which was the answer to my condition told by the american doctors I saw ... I had surgery 3 months ago June 09 and I am still in pain Sept 09 specially while sitting, pain used to be on the lower back now pain is on the right tigh and right leg ankle and toes on and off but it increases very much while sitting so I can't sit for long ... Those that have had surgery and are still in pain I guess can relate to me it is so dissappointing I can not tell how many times I have cried in these past months from pain and for being in this situation ... My doctor here recommended physical therapy and I tried this feeling a bit better then my therapyst recommended jogging I was so thrilled to hear this and started jogging for the very first time in a year but I wasn't sure and didn't feel that confident about it the second time I tried it my knee started hurting terribly and so did my back ...I stopped therapy ... The story goes on and on I took a bus which is very common way of transportation where I live and this stopped suddely my whole body went to the left and I felt it again that terrible pain of more than a year ago in my lower back and then my leg ... It was now my left side ... My coflex implant is in place but we do not know if I injured my back again maybe another herniated disc? I hope not although it feels like it :(... My energy is so low these days ... I haven't worked since February and being at home can turn depressing as some of you know ... Has anybody experience pain on the tigh and or leg after having a laminectomy decompression and or being put the coflex implant in level L5 S1? I guess I just would like to know if anyone here have had pain on the leg or tigh after a laminectomy or back surgery since this is what I am experiencing and I can not sit for long yet and if yes how long have you been like this? and or for how long this pain lasted? Any comments are greatly appreciated :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry it has taken so long to be greeted. i am very glad you stopped by though.. i can't help you much with your questions but we do share pain as a problem. good luck with your pain problems! make yourself at home! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi Arabella

Glad you found us but sorry that you're still in a lot of pain. Unfortunately when you look good on the outside, most people don't understand the pain you're feeling, especially when it goes on and on and on. When one hasn't been through chronic pain, it's hard to understand what it feels like, but people on this forum do, and if we can give you support, we will.

After I had a discectomy/laminectomy/lateral decompression in April 08, I believe the surgeon started me into physio too early and too much. I gave up with the physio after 5 and a half months because I was in worse pain with my back and left leg and now I'm booked in for a fusion. I'm puzzled as to why your therapist recommended you start jogging, especially when you wouldn't have healed from your surgery. The body needs time to heal and it's only been three months since your surgery.

Have you been back to your surgeon recently? Perhaps you could ask him/her to arrange for an MRI to be done.

I have problems with sitting for too long or leaning back when I'm sitting - I'm better off moving gently as much as possible or what I call pottering about the house and garden. I also find regular gentle stretching helpful. I do understand the depression when you're stuck at home and can't participate fully in life because that's how I was until I found a surgeon with whom I feel confident.

I have a neighbor who is a young mother, and she had a spacer put in a few years ago. She said her pain post op was worse and she was in agony for about a year. She found a therapist who specializes in Bowen therapy, and he was able to relieve her pain. Her back will never be "normal" again and she has to be careful with whatever activities she does, but she is able to do lots of walking.

What pain medication are you on? Perhaps your doctor needs to review??

Let us know how you're going and I hope you can get some relief from your pain soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi, thank you so much for getting back to me and welcoming me to the board... Yes living with pain is hard...Trisdownunder you are booked in for a fusion? why is that if you had your surgery one year ago? I have also done some physical therapy everything seemed fine doing a little progress but when I jogged my pain came back and I also hurt my knee i think as you felt too my theapyst pushed me way to early by doing this just like yours... Before all of these as I have been in pain my doctor did an mri that showed the nerve was free and the implant in place so he told me that the nerve needs time to heal and that is why I am in pain ... The weird thing is that before surgery I had pain in my lower back and leg right side but after surgery the pain is mainly on the right tigh and leg on and off but it increases when sitting ... It is good to know that your neighbor is doing better with therapy and walking ... I hope to be able to some walking soon ... For now as I just had the incident of the bus I have stopped therapy this week because I am in pain now in the left side and it radiates to my left leg an xray has been done and it shows the implant in place so we have to wait this week to see if the pain goes away and if not I will need a new mri to see what's going on :( ... My doctor needs to review my medication yes thanks for telling me that I just called him getting new medication tomorrow ... I hope our pain gets better
  • Yes, I had extreme leg pain after PLDD and endoscopic microD. My docs kept saying that my pain should not last so long but it lasted about 9 months to 1 year. I also could not sit or stand for more than a few minutes. If you have had nerves compressed it can take a long time for them to recover. My leg pain finally did get better after about 1 year. I did not have the pain switch sides though. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • Hello
    Thank you for your reply ... I understand you had pain after your surgery as well my question to you is Did you have pain while sitting on the tigh of the left or right leg? I am believing now that nerves can take long time to heal and all of that but as an implant was put on me at level L5 S1 I am afraid that when I sit this is touching my nerve ... My doctor keeps saying nerves are free and need time to heal ... My pain gets very bad sometimes and I do not know what to think...
  • have an ADR. MY pain traveled from low back out to hip area and down back of right thigh to knee. Be patient, give yourself time to heal and keep us posted.