Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Fusion Revision Nov

MelcorMMelcor Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's been a while since I have been here. I had surgery about a year and a half ago. l4-s1 posterior fusion. This was done min invasively. I had serious complications and had to go back in for surgery 3 weeks later re-opened, have one rod and three screws taken out and replaced. Needless to say it was a very long recovery. The fusion did not take and I have been living in just as much if not more pain since. I sought out multiple opinions from majors medical centers and finally found a doctor that I feel I can trust. I will be have a revision in November but this time he will be opening me all the way up so that he can see what is going on take out and replace the hardware. He is using BMP as like before and I will be wearing a bone stimulator- I did not use this before.

So this is me in a nut shell. It is nice to still see some familiar name but I wish I was not at this point again!

Hi to all and I hope you are all having a day where your pain can be managed.

• So sorry you have to go through it again. It is hard enough to do it once. But it sounds like you have a competent Dr and that should make you rest easier. I had a PLIF, make sure you have plenty of help for at least the first week home. I was ok by myself the second week as long as I waited to shower until Hubby came home and helped me, and everything was ready for me for the day. I hope to hear that things are going well for you this time. Good Luck and keep us posted. Love, Robin
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    But I would sure have wished you came back here on better physical situations.
    Take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hey remember me? we had our surgeries the same time...
    well, My fusion only half worked. I'm fused on one side and not the other and living in more pain then I was prior to the first surgery. I'm scheduled for another surgery on October 22nd. Theyre either gonna take the hardware out or redo the fusion. I wont know until after the surgery whats been done. If you wanna talk. Just let me know.

• I wish I was not coming back under these circumstances either!

Of course I remember you. It unfortunate that we are headed in the same direction almost a year to the date of our "matching" surgeries. I was thinking about you the other day. I was going to send you an e-mail but it had been so long... but that's a spiney for you!

Are you ready? I am not ready... mentally or otherwise, completely procrastinating on all fronts. I need to get my bum in gear. I took the summer off but last year was so hard on my family. I am hoping that this time will go better. Fingers crossed. I have a new doc. How about you, same doc or new one?

Ron, how is life treating you these days?
  • Thank you for the warm welcome! It is always nice to meet new people. Thank you for your update and I will post more on myself as time gets a bit closer.

Take care,
  • No, Im definitely not ready at all. Not ready for any of it. Same doctor though. I dont blame the doctor, I think its just the luck of the draw. Just the thought of all that pain after surgery makes me sick to my stomach and the not knowing whats going to happen is kinda scarey. If they decide the bones are strong enough and just remove the hardware, the next step will be to have an SCS implanted to end the pain. I was given the option of doing the surgery or going straight for the SCS. Doing that seemed a little silly though. I felt I had to give them the chance to see whats going on inside me first. Dont hesitate emailing me at any time.
  • Hi Mel

I remember you from a while back but you won't remember me because I didn't post very often then.

Sorry you have to go through all this again but hopefully this new surgeon will be able to help you.

Be brave and prepare yourself as best as you can.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I can use all of the support that I can get. I am stressed these days and I need to get my butt in gear. I feel bett this time somehow than last time, I know knowing is better than not knowing but I am still nervous of complication I think more than anything. It's hard with the kids b/c I think it had a big impact on them lat time and they talk about my back all of the time and I do not want to put them under any additional stress.

I see from your post you have a surgery coming up, how are you doing? I will look for your post.

• I am starting to freak out a bit even though I have been through this three times before. Maybe that it why. My yougest now has the H1N1 fever of 104 and I just don't think I have anything left in me... I feel like I am at that Point..I still have a ton to do.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed
  • Take a deep breath and take it all in stride. I'm so glad mines over and done with....AGAIN.

Of course, there was complications so I didnt get what I actually wanted. Turned out all the hardware was loose and I had a shelf of bone that had grown into the spinal canal pressing against the cord that had to be cut out. Ended up repacking the bone around the old fusion..one side which didnt heal btw....and redoing the fusion with bigger screws and rods. I did however get to keep my old hardware as a gift =) lol

Best of luck with your surgery and I hope your small one gets well.