Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie in Florida panhandle

HighwaymanHHighwayman Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in New Member Introductions
I’m a 46 year old male who is just darn tired. It started in 2000 when I was pulling a tree limb felt a big pop in my low back. I was down for a few days then finally went to a chiro and just did not get better. PCP did a MRI and found DDD in L4-L5-S1. Just took it easy and and the pain went down with only minor flare ups. 2004 started building a house and the pain returned strong. Ignored the pain with lortab, not very smart, for a year until the house was built. Entered PM in 2005, MRI read much worse than original. A month later the outside of my right foot went numb, my rt piriformis & si joint went to pot. Shots & more shots until surgery in Sept 2007 by a NS. He did a Himilaminectomy at Rt side L5-S1 to release the entrapped nerve root. No good. Next MRI showed that the disk at L5-S1 collapsed. Did I mention pain. Methadone barely worked. Oct 08 NS did a PLIF at L5-S1 and a laminectomy on the right side of L4-L5. Pain did subside but has steadily increased since then. Present time right heel is numb with pins and needles. The outside of the same foot hurts badly by the end of the day. The right SI joint is very painful to the touch, sitting longer than 15 minutes much less driving is misery. The NS did another MRI and CT scan. All hardware is where it should be & foramen channels clear. Shots & more shots. PM calls it FBSS and peripheral neuropathy. I am on MS Contin, zanaflex, Motrin, neurotin (sp). PM says the only other option is a SCS but he is not pushing it. Today I just do not know what to do. So many thing I just cannot do any more.
Thanks for letting me rant. Some days my wife just does not understand. I do count my blessings that it is not worse but it sure gets tiresome.

• If you are able to afford it, I always say get a second opinion before anything major(just my personal opinion.) You had a neurosurgeon operate, you might consider a spine ortho surgeon just to make sure you are not a surgical candidate. A fresh set of eyes may see something different or have other options for you, even hardware removal. No matter what you do(again, just my opinion), it sounds like you will have some degree of pain after all that you've been thru, right?

The nice thing about a SCS is that they do a trial version first so you get to see what it does for you without committing to something. Each of mine lasted 3-4 days before they pulled them out. You need at least a couple of days to just get over the pain from the insertion. If your insurance will approve it, the trial is really fairly simple compared to what you've been through, and like I said, it is just a trial so you get to test drive it. I was told my back pain would not be helped by the SCS but the goal was to get my legs under control. I appreciated the honesty about the back pain coverage and am now enjoying enough leg relief that I do not have to resort to cutting my legs off(seriously seemed like a good option to me.)

Anyway, welcome here, sorry you had to find us but glad you did. There is so much information and support here. We can't give medical opinions, but can give our experiences so that you have a comparison or things to ask your own dr about. Don't forget to check out the chat room. It's usually pretty active in the evenings. Sometimes it's serious, most times it's fun with folks who understand pain.
  • Sorry for your pain and frustration. I want to welcome you to spine-health and I am sure many people will chime in who relate to the symptoms you are having. It sounds like you have a good attitude and are doing the best you can. Some members here have had their spouses get on and read a few posts, so that they can better understand the life of someone with chronic pain. Read the forums and I'm sure you'll come across something that you think your wife will relate to.

What part of Florida are you from? I was raised in a small town in the panhandle. Maybe we know one another.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you certainly have been thorough alot but it sounds like you are in the right place now. :D good luck and keep us informed! Jenny :)
  • Good Morning All,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Ernurse, I have been very skeptical of the SCS from what I have read about it. By nature I can be pretty anal about if they say it does this but that happens, just drives me nuts. But yesterday I too seriously considered cutting off me foot just for some relief. Not bad yet this morning. I am considering trying to go to UAB for a second opinion.
    Neck of steel, nice x-ray, it is amazing what in the name of relief can be done for a person. I have lived in Pensacola for 20 years now. Nice area.
    Lulusheart, Thanks, it is one day at a time.
    I am going over to the treatment boards now to ask about SCS.
  • Boy are you in the right place. Most of us understand exactly what you are going through. You will find tons of support here. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.