Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally have my date

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am scheduled for Oct 19th to have the ACDF C5/6/7.

In a sick way I am excited. My pain levels have been higher lately and my arms have been getting weaker.

• and don't feel guilty - hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel for you.

lots to prepare for in a little over a week. Good luck with everything!

• That attitude will help get you thru.

I'm almost 10 weeks post on a 3 level ACDF. I've improved a lot since my surgery day. I look forward to being healthy and strong. It takes time and patience but I'm very glad I did this.

I hope it all goes well! This forum has helped me tons! I visit every day.
  • :D In a sick way, I'm jealous :D
  • Julie,

I see so many members post here asking when do you think it is time for surgery. Exactly what you are saying is how I describe it. You just know you can't go forwards and you can't go backwards stuck in neutral till surgery is done. Good luck with the surgery. Be sure to check out the thread post op surgery must haves in the surgery forum. The thread is located at the top. Take care.
  • Hey Julie,
    I am to lazy to go look up old post. But you were asking about getting relief from the pain in hands i think. I found tonight at walgreens therma care heat hand wraps, and oh they feel good. Just thought I would share. Later
  • Thanks TamTam,

Since I am a new necky I will check out the post op thread again. I am pretty well set up from the PLIF last summer but I suppose there will be some new stuff to get.

I have been using the roll on pain reliever (icy hot and such). The wraps are too expensive for me. I also get the lidoderm patches from my PCP and those will come in handy after the surgery when I have to go back to work.

Sooo I told my employer today. They have been asking me daily when I am going to have my surgery. October is really bad for us. I have 6 shows and 2 big meetings that involve a lot of work starting October 16th. Then Oct 20th, Oct 22nd, Oct 26th, Oct 28th and Nov 3rd & Nov 6th and again Nov 12th.....

I have to have all of this stuff planned out even though I will not be there. Now my company will have to send 1 or 2 people from out of town up and it is going to cost them a small fortune for airfare and hotel accomodations. I feel terrible about it, but I am in so much discomfort I can hardly function.

Lumpy :O) Sicko lol.... I hope you get some relief soon.

Lynn are you back to work? I am wondering how soon I will be back- my job is not terribly physical but I need to be coherent and able to type and drive.

• I have my own business so I'm able to work from home. I try to keep it to a limit because I find that stress finds it's way to my neck and back if I push too hard. I also had my office ergonomically set up but the doctor only allows me 20 minutes at my computer then I have to get up and move for a few minutes before I get going again. I got a timer so I'd be faithful.

A lot of folks go back to work a week or two after surgery. I was able to work from home after 2 weeks.

Driving is challenging for me. I try to limit that too. I waited a month before I tried it. I put special mirrors on my car to help me back up. I park way out and try to find places where I can pull in with my front out.

Backing up is tough. I was slow to move my head though which was a mistake. With the new plate and screws my doctors want you to gently move your head right away. I was scared. I used my soft collar too much. I was told after 2 weeks driving was okay but since I didn't need to I waited longer.

The thing that saved me was satin sheets and a flat pillow. Rolling in and out of bed is tough. I also used satin nighties when I didn't have the sheets which helped a ton! I hold my head and roll in and out of bed. My head is getting better but it felt like lead for several weeks. It's still not light.

I was glad I had help in the house and that I was able to take my time getting back into life. I basically ate, slept and went on walks for the first 3 weeks then started to branch out. I don't want to have to redo my surgery so I'm taking it slow.

I hope you heal fast so you can get back to your work. Are you having 2 levels or 3 done? I had 3 levels... 4/5, 5/6 and 6/7. If you're having 2 you may heal faster than I have.
  • Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I hope all goes well for you.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Rolling out of bed, should become your new norm to get out of bed daily. I soon realized that. Anyone who has neck issues will learn that. Going forward it is important to maintain that as well, so you don't put additional stress on other disc in your neck.
  • My surgery is Oct 7th and I have been preparing for 2 weeks now. Having a problem finding satin pj button down tops in my size (I am a larger size woman and I got the pants) and finally found a great wedge pillow. But I am still shopping. I am excited about my surgery in hopes of getting the use of my left hand back. Just a little anxious about the recovery but from what I read I need to take it slow, one day at a time.

I want my place to be clean before surgery. Was going to hire someone to do it but my husband refused. He said he will do it, but I have yet to see him do anything except cook and watch tv. He keeps saying there is time to get it all done. Pretty soon there won't be time, so I am worried about that and about my care afterwards. He asked me if I think he won't do a good job helping me out afterwards and I replied - "the way you are cleaning the house for me, yes I am concerned." Then he gets angry. I am told I should let it go and not worry if the place is clean, but I cannot see myself lying around in the livingroom that needs to be dusted and vacuumed and not being able to do it! I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but it's difficult not feeling confident that the things I want done before the surgery will get done. Nothing like adding to the anxiety of the surgery itself!

Thanks for hearing me out. I have been wanting to write about my husband, but didn't want to come across as a cry baby.

Good luck with your surgery Julie!

Soon to be bionic neck,
  • I had ACDF on the same two levels as yourself two weeks ago.

I took one week off work. The second week post-op (this week) I worked from home. I am back in the office (desk job) next week.

I felt very good working from home this week and am not worried about being in the office next week other than a concern around my neck collar messing with my tough guy image.....

Everyone heals differently and definitely dont push it. But a relatively quick return to work is possible for some after this procedure.

Best of luck to you.
  • Thanks Aaron. That is great to hear.
  • Hi Julie,

I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about about you! Do you have everything that you need? Grabbers, ice packs etc? I have set my date too... Nove 3rd! We are going to be surgery buddies again. I'll be thinking about you.

Keep me updated!
  • I wanted to say "cool" to you Mel, but it is really sad. I would hate to be in your shoes again.

I hope your new surgery really helps you. I can say my lumbar spine feels 100% better than it did before the PLIF. This summer I had a lot of fun hikes and I felt really good in the lower half. I am sorry that you have to go through another long and painful recovery. Mine was worth it.

Did you have the laminectomy last time? I can't remember.

• Hi Julie!

One of my biggest fears was my husband not taking care of me. He's allergic to manual labor LOL He surprised me. He didn't do the vacuuming or regular house cleaning I did hire someone for that but he cooked for me and cleaned the kitchen, did laundry and such. He was wonderful.

Hiring help has been crucial for me. I can't stand looking at a mess. I hired someone for a year. I'm a clean nut and love to do my own house but know I'll slow my healing if I don't have help. I'll go back to my usual routine after the doctor says "fused".

I think men can go back to normal faster if they aren't the type to do the house work or gardening. If they have desk jobs and secretaries to get their stuff it's a lot easier for them.

I had a friend that said "what recovery?" when I asked him about his experience after his ACDF. He was the vice president of his company with a secretary doing the tough stuff and his wife took care of all at home. I was shocked when I didn't just get up and go after a week but I'm far more active than he is. It wasn't as big of a change for him.

• Keep us posted Julie! Thinking about you!

• update us and let us know how you are doing...back to work? Wow

• it was denied by insurance....