Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Narcotic and Nerve Meds

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Pain Medications
Hi Folks:

Currently I am on 15 mgs of MS Contin and 5 mg Oxycodone HCL. I also take 3 100 mg Lyrica each day. My Primary care doctor has me take two of the MS Contin a day (long acting) and 3 of the Oxycodone as needed for breakthrough pain.

I also take two Neurontin before bed. I had a 4 level Cervical Laminectomy in April. I have permanent nerve damage. I am applying for Social Security Disability and am 57 yrs old.

So far the meds seem to do ok. I don't have any problems with addiction. I do have issues with constipation. That is something I have to live with to control the pain...side effects.

Ken GreyEagle

• Hi Ken,

To help with the constipation issue, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day. Also, a diet that is high in fiber should help as well. I have read on this website that there are members who use stool softeners to help that problem.

Before taking any stool softeners, you should talk to your doctor to make sure that it is ok for you to take. I hope this helps. I have been on OxycontinER 20 mg 3 times a day, and Oxycodone 4 times a day and I have only had 1 or 2 bouts of constipation issues. I wasn't really paying attention to my diet so that was my own fault. But, by drinking plenty of water and fluids, plus eating a high fiber diet; I have been lucky to have kept that side effect at bay.

I am also on Neurontin as well. I take 2700mg a day. The only side effect that bothers me is the short term memory loss.

Anyways, I hope that the information I gave you is helpful. Take care.

• Nikon is right, drink plenty of water. I also found that drinking prune juice, eating oatmeal and avoiding rice helped keep things square.

Hope things get better for you.

• hi! :H i find besides drinking water, water and more water! i drink a smoothie a day. 1 glass of 1%milk.i add some frozen berries)for thickness)such as strawberries, a little honey,a half a fresh banana, and psyllium. blend together and drink down. this sets you straight each day and tastes good too. :D Jenny :)
  • HI, Seems like its been a year since I seen you on here
    Maybe a little magnesium might help(just a suggestion)
    Good-Luck with the SSD.
  • I didn't know about the short term memory loss side effect of Neurontin. I actually have that problem. I just didn't realize it was due to the Neurontin. It's not a huge problem. Its somewhat annoying tho. Thanks for mentioning that.

I do usually read the sheet the pharmacy gives me with the meds. I guess I missed that one.

• Yeah, I haven't posted for awhile. I saw my Neuro surgeon a few weeks ago for the last time for awhile. He looked at two new MRI's. One was of my Cervical and the other of my Lumbar Spine. He saw issues with both of them. He did not see need for further surgeries at this time.

He did say I would need more surgery about a year to two years from now. At least by then I should be on Medicare and a supplementary plan. I am currently applying for Social Security Disability.

Good to be back.