Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

horrid foot pain anyone

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
i keep waking at night with my feet on fire, if i get out of bed it feels like im walking on hot coals, i cant bear the weight of my quilt on my skin so i sleep with my feet outside of the covers.
when i first stand i have a really tight feeling under my heel like the muscle has tensed up, my feet go numb if i sit too long and my big toe on my right foot swells every evening and is red hot even though this is the first toe to go numb during the day.
i spoke to my doc about it and he said tell the hosp when you go, i did and they never commented, any ideas as to whats going on ?

• Although I'm not a Dr I think The Dr should order some tests for you like leg dopplers and bone scan or xrays or at least an exam. I took lyrica to help with the foot pain and wore thrombolytic stockings you can get at a medical supply store or hospital pharmacy. I also had success with epidurals and Cymbalta. I would put ice on my feet and leg and wrap it as well as put my infrared heating pad on for a little while alternating heat and ice. I wish you less pain days ahead. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I also have horrid foot pain except mine pound and throb with pain.
    I also wake at night with my toes burning like they are on fire. Awful I tell you!!
    I have been told I have neuropathy brought on by nerve damage.
    The pain is beyond belief. I have to walk on this pain!!
    I would give anything if I did not have this problem!! I keep going as best I can and do have hired help.
    15mg of Oxycodone helps to ease the pain some. I take it every 4 hours.
    Good luck
    Patsy W
  • I started out with burning in my feet and them falling asleep all the time. In due time it started migrating up my legs. I had 3 nerve studies done and was diagnosed with peripherial neuropathy. I too can not stand to have my feet covered at all. Socks even irritate them. My hands also started having the same symptoms.After too many years to count on pain meds, i was implanted with a SCS. It has helped considerably. Although my implant was put in for my legs/feet mainly, the PM stated they can add my hands at a later date if needed. PLEASE do not do what i did and ignore this situation too long. I went about 4 years before i brought it to a doctors attention. By then my nerves were too far gone for any mild treatment to help.
  • This happened when I woke up from my first of 4 back surgeries. Thinking all this pain came from my back little was done to find a cure. Give it time to heal and all will be better. Finally peripheral neuropathy was diagnosed and I underwent two more surgeries for the motor peripheral nerves controlling my left foot and then the sensory peripheral nerves. I gained back movement and some feeling and a lot of strength from these surgeries after having lost this stuff for 2 1/2 years, yes years. Nothing has yet to touch that original pain and numbing all the way but I continue to search. We all have the same problem - We all have to walk on these feet that hurt so much and now control our lives.
  • i start pain management tomorrow, ive wrote a list of all my new symptoms, see if they have any input
  • How did your visit with pain management go?
    I do hope you are finding relief for your savage foot pain.

BTW....I have a SCS implant but the permanent implant failed to help my pain.
    I am now waiting for a pain pump implant. Actually, I am waiting for my first appointment with the Doctor who MAY be doing my pain pump implant. I have not had the trial yet. I prey it works out....this is my last resort.
    Please keep us updated.
    Patsy W :H
  • hope you get the go ahead for pain pump.
    pain management doc was amazing, he listened, he gonna try facet steroid injections, epidural injection and accupuncture, taken me off all my meds and put me on bu-trans patch 5mg, not enough to knock out pain but he said we can up the strength, writing to my doc to recommend he puts me on gabapentin for leg and feet pain.
    happy days
  • Have you had surgery on your spine? I'm not clear when this pain started...was it a first symptom or did it develop later?
  • back pain became constant nearly 2 yrs ago, this foot pain started a few months ago, off and on, didnt take much notice of it, just glad the sciatica pain had stopped, now its every day, feet go numb if i sit too long, legs tingle and ankles feel really heavy, doc thinks its linked to my back as reflexes are pretty sluggish in both feet and knees.
    not had surgery, im on the waiting list for 360 fusion L4/L5 originally they planned to do L5/S1 but they said my spondy is not the cause of pain ?
    really dont want to go have it done so trying everything i can.
    any help or info is always welcome, thanks :)))
  • It keeps me awake at times.

They feel hot, I often can't sleep unless my feet are outside of the blankets and very cool.

Socks? Forget it.

I find myself rubbing my feet together to help put me to sleep.

I've been dealing with this for years. Doctors have tried a myriad of anti-depression/anti-anxiety meds for it, prednisone tapers...carpel tunnel testing on my hands and feet (my hands will do it too).

It's still something I deal with. My brand new doctor said that he's going to go into this issue more deeply with me at my next visit. I will share any new information I can after that appointment.

Good luck!
  • Hi, New here...interesting stuff I have read on this site.
    I have had foot pain in both feet for over a year and just dealt with it. When it got to be too much and climbed up the legs I said help. The first thing the doctor did was put me in physical therapy for my feet..the therapist said oh it sounds like tendinitis..
    to say the least he showed me on my 2nd appointment how to stretch out the calves and what not, and as I went into a lunge position he grabbed my lower calf and pushed down on it and I screamed and he said oh I am sorry did that hurt..YES....to say the least the next day the leg had swollen and they rushed me in for a Doppler test saying perhaps I had a blood clot. Turns out the idiot busted my calf muscle...8 months later it is still busted and I have favored it and still do and now I have neuropathy in the front of my legs to where they burn if you just look at them. Went to a podiatrist and he said the reason my feet hurt were due to my bunions on my big toes and that they are arthritic and I must have changed my walking ways. He said the calf was indeed broken and it will heal...HA it has not healed and now I can't walk for 7 minutes without fire burning up the front of my legs..So I went to the doctor today and he said xanax will help this and gave me a prescription, I took my first dose today and it knocked me out for 2 hours yet my legs are still burning on fire and my calf still hurts...any other meds out there that will help...I am also being diagnosed with fibromyalgia however he is treating the sleeping with one medicine and pain for another..and the last 6 months has been horrible
  • I have foot pain on the top and edge of my right foot since april 2009. It hurts all the when i sit to long or stand too long. I have to hop to the bathroom upon waking in the morning. My left ankle also feels like it on fire.