Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Days then Surgery!

Sweetrobs2SSweetrobs2 Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:36 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,
Well it is 3 days before I have the Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and the Posterior Laminectomy with Instrumentation, and I am getting very nervous and anxious. I asked my NS for something to calm my nerves, but he doesn't prescribe for that and suggested I call my PCP or shrink. I may have to do that.

I am going to be in a hard collar for 4 weeks, and even though I have read many posts about how people have recovered, I am still scared to death! I have purchased a lot of the items on the post-op list, and have just about everything I want to take to the hospital, many that were on the list too.

I am not sure if I will be posting after today, so if not, I will try to post an update next week. I am expected to be in the hospital from Wednesday until Saturday at least.

Thanks for all of the info over the past few weeks, and supporting comments. I know I will be seeking additional support in the future.

• Robin, you will be in my prayers. as most people will say, the anxiety leading up to the surgery is the worst part. even though i was in pain when i woke up, i was so relieved when it was done. is this your first surgery? i just had c2c3 fusion 2 months ago and am recovering. take care and let us know how youre doing. aloha.....nick
  • Robin,

It is normal to be nervous leading into surgery. Not sure how bad you are feeling now, but you may want to get out and go see a movie or dinner. That will surely eat sometime up for you as well. Staying busy for myself pre-surgery has always been the key. As long as you understand your surgery and are confident in your surgeon's ability, you should be fine. As most will tell you the nerves are worse than the post surgery recovery. Post surgery you know it is going to get better but pre-surgery just the anticipation can be hard. Good luck and you will be in my thoughts and we will be awaiting with any support we can offer and to hear your adventure. Take care.
  • Hi Nick,
    I had an ACDF of the C7-T1 December 8,2008. Unfortunately I didn't fuse, but I have more issues that need addressing with pain in both arms now, not just my left, and can barely use my left hand. You can actually see the muscle atrophy in my arm and hand. By the way, this is a different NS than the one that did the surgery last Dec. That doc wouldn't do anything when I returned to him in pain last July! This was my fourth and final opinion so I am going for broke!

Thanks for your thoughts. I know the anticipation is worse than the actual event.

• Thanks for your thoughts. My apartment is filthy so I was going to try to clean (my husband isn't doing it even though I have been asking for weeks!) But today I am in a lot of pain both arms and shoulders.

I think I will go to the movies with my mother. That should help. And not worry about if my apartment is clean or not.

• Good luck to you with your surgery. I will definitely pray for you.

How long are you expected to stay home from work after the operation? How long before physical activity of any sort?

I am trying to decide between the fusion or ADR.
  • Hi Robin, I am only 6 weeks post op and know how anxious I was prior to this surgery. I called my PC and she gave me valium, which calmed my nerves and helped my muscle spasms. I also purchased many of the items on the post op list, my adjustable wedge, and water pillow are amoung my favorates. Someone had suggested that I pamper my self, and I did that too, had a manicure, pedicure, which made me feel good.

You will remain in my thoughts, and am sure your surgery will be a success.

• I'm sending good wishes your way for a successful surgery. I know how difficult waiting for the day to come is, as we all do, but before you know it it'll all be over and you'll be home and starting the long task of recovering.

Don't worry about having your house messy. It doesn't matter. But what you said reminded me of what I told my PA when she told me that I couldn't do the cleaning so my husband would have to. I told her "Well, just because I can't do it doesn't mean he will."

Take care of yourself and we'll be thinking of you and waiting for your first post-surgery post.

• Cath111 said:
    But what you said reminded me of what I told my PA when she told me that I couldn't do the cleaning so my husband would have to. I told her "Well, just because I can't do it doesn't mean he will."
    LOL those were my words almost exactly, too!! I am lucky enough that my mom lives close by, so she came in a few times to help clean up.

Robin, I hope your nerves are settling a little, good luck on your surgery, I hope this one works out better for you!! Keep us posted after!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • smiley735 said:
    Cath111 said:
    But what you said reminded me of what I told my PA when she told me that I couldn't do the cleaning so my husband would have to. I told her "Well, just because I can't do it doesn't mean he will."

LOL those were my words almost exactly, too!! I am lucky enough that my mom lives close by, so she came in a few times to help clean up.

Robin, I hope your nerves are settling a little, good luck on your surgery, I hope this one works out better for you!! Keep us posted after!!
    If I dont clean the house when my wife tells me too she takes my credit card and spends hundreds on gold and diamonds! Needless to say her home is ALLWAYS CLEAN!
  • My opinion is a bit different, The messy house should really make no difference but... I did try my best to have things in order before surgery because that was making me more nervous with the house being a mess and coming home to a mess just isn't very nice specially after surgery.
    So maybe just a quick once over... if pain allows you too,might make coming home a little easier.. and then that's one less thing to stress about before your surgery. that's just me
    My hubby picking up the house is like telling my 5 year old Grandaughter to clean her play room..
    If you cant get something to help you calm down the nerves these last couple days..Then when you get to hospital before surgery let them know you are a nervous (if you are)(you may not be)maybe they can give you something to help calm you down before getting prep for surgery.. only one time before one of my surgeries for some reason I was a nervous wreck and not having my coffee and something to eat made it BAD.. They had no problem helping me..(just a thought)
    You have my thoughts with your surgery and your nerves and maybe someday we will go fishing together. It will take both us to reel in that big trophy fish..hugs Patsy
  • Thank you to all of you for the support, especially about my husband and the cleaning! I was very surprised to hear from so many people! My nerves are better, and I decided not to take anything for them.

I think seeing my NS helped a lot. Though there were a few things I didn't expect. First, my surgery was scheduled for 1:00PM and they moved it to 7:15 AM which is probably better. I can sleep all day and maybe go home sooner! Secondly, The most bothersome was when he said he is going to go in anteriorly on the left side and vertical. So I will have a vertical scar. I have read many posts that mentioned the vertical scar and at my age, I don't really care if I look like Frankenstein - LOL! My first surgery was anterior and I have a 4 inch horizontal scar on the right in a crease so it's not noticed. Third was he said I have a minor problem at T2 but he is not worried about that right now. Fourth is, he already marked my neck and placed cellophane tape or something over it so I can shower, so I already look like Frankenstein!

I really like this NS and feel he is very caring. I know he really wants to help me.

Anyway, now my entire family wants to see me tomorrow, Tuesday, before the surgery and it's kind of freaky. I know they are being supportive but it scares me too, like they won't see me again.

Once more, thank you so much for your support!! You brought tears to my eyes. All of you are really the only ones that understand how I feel about my neck and the entire experience.

Best Regards,
    Robin :)
  • Thanks Patsy! And maybe some day we will fish together! I feel so much better having the support from the people on this site! My husband thinks I am nuts, but he is technologically illiterate and doesn't have a lot to do with the internet. He thinks I am making myself more nervous by reading and writing posts in this site.

I am doing fairly well, surprised that I am, and look forward to corresponding when I get home.

Your friend,
  • My family thought this site before my surgery was maybe making things worse for me too. That was not the case and They know now The site helped me more then they ever imagined.
    My family's love for me and having them see my pains was very hard for them (that's hard for a loved one to be in pain and can not do much to help)
    My family has been and are supportive and helpful with all my needs of help with things i cant do.I'm very thankful for having a wonderful family..and now they know how much Spine Health has help me get through some rough times..
    But when others say I know how you feel, It can make me a bit upset.specially when they have no idea of my issues.
    smile to you Patsy P.

• Hi Robin,
    I can laugh at the messy house as I am singled and lived alone following surgery. When my friend brought me home the day after surgery I said well no need for you to come in, I will be fine. Did I say how good of a friend she was. Nothing doing, she came in and I was so embarrassed about my house. Prior to surgery I had been almost bed bound and nothing mattered anymore . It was clear I couldn't clean it up, since I had used my own hip bone as was walking a bit rough. So my friend came in and blasted me a few times for not asking for help, and she didn't realize how bad things had gotten and was sorry. After a few hours I kicked her out and thanked and was so nice to have that clean house, again. So maybe your Hubby will clean for you after surgery, when he is feeling bad for you. But you know if you don't get it done, oh well there are worse things in life.
  • Robin,

Good luck tomorrow.

I had to learn to let the house go when I had my last surgery. I guess I was a bad teacher because my teenage daughter and my husband were completely useless for cleaning. My idea of clean and theirs is two completley different things :O)

Now I keep the kitchen cleaned (to my standards) the bathroom cleaned (to my standards), have hubby do floors 1 per week, and my daughter folds the laundry/puts it away and dusts. It is a pretty good system, but they still can't put their durty dishes in the sink!
  • My husband insisted I leave everything to him and I am pretty sure he is going to clean and do laundry before I get home from the hospital. That's one reason he was kept insisting I don't do anything.

Have to finish packing for the hospital and make some phone calls.

Thanks for all the Support!!

Best Regards,