Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"pseudo" sciatic nerve flare

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I realize this question might fit better under mind/body, but none of the topics there seem appropriate. Has anyone has ever heard of a long term effect of sciatica resulting in "pseudo" for lack of a better term, sciatic flares brought on by hearing of/seeing or even thinking about getting bumped or falling. It's hard to explain. Basically, I had a lower back herniated disc w/ sciatica down my left leg almost 10 years ago. I don't suffer from pain anymore, but the strangest thing...when I see someone take a sudden hard fall or get a body jarring blow - in person or on television/video I have a significant reaction in my lower back/down my left leg. It doesn't cause what I'd call pain, but it's not pleasant. Like when you hit your funny bone very hard - jarring, sharp vibrating "ping" all the way down my leg. In my mind, it's like someone plucking a harp string. Then it's usually a little cold afterward. Even worse when I think I'm about to be hit (dog under foot, etc.) It's obviously a mind/body situation. Like post traumatic stress of the spine...or a muscle memory type of situation. I've searched the web and can't find anything similar. Just wondering if this has a name. Sorry for the long post and thank you. - Tess

• Could be something like the phenomena, 'sympathy pain'. Like how a man's stomach can hurt extremely bad when his wife is pregnant?

Other than that it may just be your mind still traumatized from the severe injury and pain you endured. That could trigger deep spasms that could irritate 'jolt' scar tissue in to the nerves etc... Not severe enough to cause true sciatic pain but enough to be uncomfortable.

It's just my personal insight. I do understand what you're saying and while I continue to have on-going issues, I still get 'weird' sensations that aren't normal for me in certain situations. I've had 5 surgeries and still to this day, get sick to my stomach when someone touches my scar. It doesn't hurt to be touched, but damn it'll just about make me lose my lunch.
  • Thanks for responding. Glad to know someone understands. Your scar story is indeed unusual. Same type of mental trigger, I guess. The idea that the mind can trigger spasms that jolt scar tissue sounds logical. It's such and odd thing to explain. Just a few hours ago, I saw a step - just saw it - and in a nano-second I get this nerve jolting sensation all the way down my back and leg. I had no conscious concern that I'd miss the step and jar my back - no way I'd miss this little step, but my mind flashes there anyway before I have time to even register the thought. It's stuff like that all the time -- really crazy when it's just something on television! Well, thank you again and good luck. -T
  • It almost sounds like you're suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, but not of the typical kind.

From this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder

"Witnessing traumatic experiences or learning about these experiences may also cause the development of PTSD symptoms."

I would give a read through that and maybe search the topic on Google some more to see if anything sounds similar to what you're experiencing. If so, maybe take a visit to a psychotherapist or whatever they recommend on the sites.

Good luck with everything.
  • Thanks or your comments and the link. I agree -- it's related in some strange way. Maybe one day I'll be able to put a name to it.