Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Spinal Fusion set for October 16th ~Scared To Death What can I Expect?

urluckypennyuurluckypenny Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
HI, New Member here, Just spoke to the surgeon today after all my tests and confirms surgery.

Im a 38 year old male 143lbs 5'9" and cannot remember a injury I had? Haave had back problems for last 10 years and theyve gotten worse as the years go on.

Ive had physical therapy, chiropractic, 3 injections, spinal gram. So the doctor has set up a l5-s1 spinal fusion with a bone graft.

Im wondering what do I need to expect going into this. pain level, recovery time, time out of work? Most of how do you feel after your full recovery?

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. i do hope you have gotten more than one opinion when it comes to surgery!!! be sure and check out the "Back and Neck" surgery forum for more input and answers to your questions.. you do need to be prepared for coming home from surgery! good luck and keep us informed! :D Jenny :)
  • That seems like a massive step ie to go from the level of intervention you were at, straight to surgery!

I know we all see our doctors as 'demigods', but are you sure this is what's best?

Over here (UK), we exhaust all conservative measures first before going straight to surgery. Has your doctor done that?

I agree with Jenny in that you need to get another opinion. If you read some of the posts from members on this site on their experiences with surgery, it doesn't always work out quite as planned.

Please be cautious.

Bye, Val
  • There is a new member on the Back Surgery section who just asked a similar question. Please read what I wrote to her here:

It looks to me like you have had back pain for ten years and have tried various conservative treatments, right?

If you go on over to the "Back and Neck Surgery part of the Treatments section, you will find many posts pertaining to fusion. You will also find a "sticky" at the top of that section that will give you a variety of ideas of what you might want post surgery. The list includes just about everything imaginable....it is helpful in that it gets you thinking about what life will be like post surgery and what you can do now to get ready and make your home more livable.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
    xx Gwennie
  • I highly suggest taking a look at the surgery section and finding the list of things that you will need post op. Being prepared will make things much easier with your recovery. As far as how recovery will be for you it is very hard to predict. Everyone is so different that it is not often that any 2 people get the same results. Good luck and please keep us posted.