Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS for Sacrum/Coccyx pain

LittlesurferLLittlesurfer Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Management
Has anyone had any success with a SCS implanted for sacrum/coccyx pain. I had a coccygectomy several years ago and my pain has kept increasing since. My pain is localized in the sacrum area and I have so much pain sitting and lying down. Have tried just about every treatment, including a trial for a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator (leads are placed over the area of pain vs. a SCS, where the leads are placed into the epidural space). I didn't receive any relief and the leads were pulled. After that, I had radiofrequency, with no relief. My condition seems to be rather unique and there aren't very many doctors who have treated patients for this type of pain. My pain management dr has suggested trying a SCS, which would be inserted into the epidural space at the very lowest part of the spine, which would be at the top of the sacrum (I think). I actually had an appt for next Tuesday to have the trial, but I got cold feet and postponed it. The more research I do on this topic, the more concerned I am that there are a lot of problems with the SCS...so much can go wrong.

• I can only tell you my experience. I have the SCS and it is placed on the nerve root in the Coccyx. I also have leads sub q (under the skin) across the pelvic bone. It works for me. My pain was in very low in my back almost in my butt...sorry for that no other way to explain where the pain was...and across the pelvic bone in the front. This was due to an accident in track when I was young. I separated the pelvis, rotated it and it all jammed back together in an odd way. I hope this helps. After all it is a trial so if it doesn't work, you don't have to go forward. As for the problems you have researched...is that a brand, or the entire system?
  • Is your stimulator a SCS or a PNS? My trial was for the PNS, where the leads were placed directly over my area of pain.(I didn't get any pain relief) If you have the SCS, where did they place the leads? Did they go into the spinal canal and then down to the coccyx?
  • I have the SCS. I have two lead in the nerve root in the coccyx, and two laying under the skin on the pelvic bone. I hope I am explaining this right. This is the nerve root at the very bottom of the spine. They tried to put it in the spinal canal and it didn't get the right area covered so they used the nerve root at the bottom of the spine. I wish you could draw on here so I could make myself clear. I will look it up and see if it has a name, other than pain. LOL
  • As far as I can tell it is the sacral nerve root. It is the lowest nerve root. Sorry i can't be of more help.
  • I have two implanted spinal cord stims. However, mine are not for the area of pain that you have. I can tell you that the trial is no big deal. That
    is the only way for you to know if the SCS can help you. The pain from the trial is very minimal. The SCS probably will not take away all your pain but it could help you a great deal. You are being offered the opportunity to test a very unique method of pain control. I say go for it!!
  • I started my trial period this morning. As a matter of fact, just got home. My leads are placed around T10/11 and I'm getting stimulation from butt to my toes. Give a shot, the worst that can happen is it does nothing.