Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet Joint Injections

dmeadeddmeade Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Spinal Injections
I had my second Facet joint injection yesterday to determine if I am a candidate for the radiofrequency procedure. The first injection seemed to help with the nerve pain and back pain at least for a couple of days. I wasn't totally pain free but the pain level had decreased.
The injection yesterday hurt more than the first one and today I am experiencing more back pain than usual and nerve pain in one leg (verses both).
Is this normal? I am concerned that maybe the facet joint isn't the source of the pain now.
Has anyone had this type of experience with the diagnostic injections?
Thanks for any input!

• had the facet joint injections before having a rhizotomy. I think that they can cause more and different pain at first. If you got more relief from the other side being injected, that may be the side that they do an initial RF Ablation on. If in doubt you may want to contact your doc to be sure. Good luck and hang in there.
  • I'm getting my first injection this coming week. In researching it, every article I've read about the injections says that you may experience increased pain after. Here's a link to an article found here on S-H under the Treatment tab.

APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • having my first facet injection on the 24th. Ive had several other injections in other areas but my new Dr said this may be just what I need. Im a little nervous as I am going to Disney World on Dec 1st and yall are saying you had increased pain. Im wondering if I should go thru with it, or at least wait until I return.
  • but neither does any other injections. For some reason all injections I have tried, with different doctors, have made me worse (somehow aggravated the nerves?). I don't wish to scare you, but the facet joint injections that I had made me unable to walk at all for a week. I could not even stand up at all and had to crawl or hall my self to the bath room. Then again nobody really seems to know what exactly is going on with my back. I have had problems with pain, walking and standing for 15 years, and not enough is seen on the MRIs. The EMGs show an ongoing nerve inflammation, but nobody seems to know what causes it. I am not telling you what to do, but my advise is to wait with the injection until you come back from Disneyland, if you are at all able to walk good enough right now.

Have a wonderful time at Disneyland!!
  • Hi Dmeade,
    I just typed a reply but I don't see it on here. Not sure what I did wrong or where it went, so I will try again. Hopefully I am not repeating....
    I noticed that your post was made on 10/7. I am going in today for my second set of Facet Joint injections today. I too had some relief from the first set. (Not in the legs but I knew that would be the case going in.) Ok, truthfully when the anesthetic wore off the pain in the back returned with a vengence. It eventually settled down and I received some back pain relief for about a week. (Maybe about 30%) I did notice that the sharp pains I was feeling in my back actually increased though. Anyway, Aftr the first set my pain mgt doc felt I was in the "gray area" for determining if I was a candidate for the radio frequency procedure. He wanted to do a second set before he would decide. I was curious what the outcome was for you. I realize everyone is different but am curious how it went for you. I too, am questioning if the facet joints are the main cause of my back pain and do not want to do another procedure if it is not necessary. So sick of all these neddles!

• ManuelIVMManuelIV Posts: 5
    edited 07/04/2014 - 4:47 AM
    Im just wondering what happened to all those who had facet joint injections? Did you guys got better or you opted to get another treatment? Was researching the web about facet joint disorders and i came across this website. I just wanted to post this coz it might help

Post edited to remove link. Advertising is not permitted on Spine Health forums.http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules

9.01 No posting links to advertisements or as solicitations of business.
    6.01 Once a member post has been identified as SPAM or pure solicitation, the post will be deleted and the member will be deleted without any warning. Spine-health will not tolerate any form of spamming.
    6.02 Do NOT identify specific places of business or establishments

• I have radio frequency oblations once or twice a year with a total of 8 injections, 4 on each side. A week later I have the epidurals and coccix injections.
    The oblations are not fun but I will always go back as I get relief. I have a lot of injections each time and I am sore for about a week later. Is the soreness worse than before the procedure. I feel it is similar to before the procedure. I felt I would feel great right away at first so it was disappointing more than painful. YES, for me, life would be terrible without injections.
    Laura T
  • Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    I have had 2 lumbar epidural shots that didn't work very well so Pain Management doc tried a facet joint injection (three joints at L5 area). This was two days ago and after one day of no big result, today seems better! I am very tempted to "test it out" and move around a lot considering today is the 4th of July holiday in the US.....