Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Be aware of "blanket" statements

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Chronic Pain
Learn to sift through what you read. Make sure it applies to you and your situation, as we are all uniquely Different.
Today, I woke up in agonizing Pain. I can always tell how my day will probably be the minute I get out of bed. (if I get out)
1. I'm incredibly stiff and hurt somewhat
2. I gingerly walk into the dressing room bend over to put on my underwear. And experience a ripping in my lower back.
3. I do the same but also have a knife stabbing me.
4. I do the same but it feels like a lion took a bite out of my back.
Today was a #4.After waking up and staying in bed a extra hour. And I'll have to take extra meds (and I don't mean more than prescribed) When I'm trying to cut my meds in half because of a upcoming surgery possibility. I'll also have to take it very easy for how ever it takes to get back to normal.
And I was on a acceptable physical regiment (if that's the right word) to be healthy, and avoid the depression of being stuck in a recuperating state. IE: being stuck in the house doing less than I was doing before.
O.K. where was I? I had to take a break, I couldn't sit any longer and I'm slow, slow, slow!
All because of a post that I read. That I knew didn't apply to me. But it was in the back of my mind to push a little harder.
Now this post certainly did apply to some. But in my opinion it was a "blanket" post. One that should be helpful to a select group. And not everyone.
And through long time trial and error I know my boundaries. so certainly not me.
But it was stuck in the back of my mind, maybe in my subconscious. And I pushed to hard. Now I have to pay the price!
So as you read posts and gather your information. Make sure you sift through them and make sure that it will apply to you and disregard anything that dose not!
Sorry, I had to take another break, I'll be all day trying to post this!
Actually I think I've said enough.
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• Jim, thanks for the advice. So sorry you have pushed too hard and are in the situation you are in today.

cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Dear Jim, you couldn't have expressed it better. Trying to sneak past the "pain-beastie" to achieve a simple task, which in the past was fine. Then "SLAP" the beastie reacts and we have to suffer on the "naughty-step" till we have learnt our lesson. When posts catch my eye as to what another spiney does, stupidly my brain thinks "I'm sure that will be OK for me". Now slowly my brain is filtering what is achievable for me. I can relate to the agony of putting on underwear, need to find another way of managing this task. What a great post, thanks for sharing and making me smile as I visualise some of the predicaments my own stupidity has got me into. Good Luck to you Jim - Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • Long time no see you!

What some people tend to forget is that what works for me may not work well for you. And definitely not work at all for that guy over there (not you Jim, just speaking metaphorically).

BUT, there does come a time when we may need to give ourselves more credit and push just a little bit, not full out mind you, but enough that we are not allowing our bodies to become so weak that any task then becomes impossible due to pain.

Me - I really have no choice - I have to push myself. I have a job, 3 sons, husband, home, mother, etc to take care of. Sure things would take care of themselves if I weren't there to do it, but I don't want them to. Do I pay for it? You bet! Does my doctor shake her head at me? Definitely. Does my husband get angry at my pig-headedness? You better believe it. Do my kids fuss at me for pushing past my pain and doing things for them in spite of it? Well, let's not go overboard.

But it's my choice. My choice to push myself beyond whatever my limits are today . This has nothing to do with my pain levels, but everything to do with who I am. I am the captain of my ship and I'll not allow someone else - first mate or deck hand - dictate to me what I need to do.

Whether or not you push yourself should be YOUR decision. We all have choices to make today. Ask yourself - will my choices benefit me or will they hurt me in the long run? If gently pushing will only make you stronger, go for it. If it causes more harm than good - don't.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    The "naughty step" I lllike it! But I'd rather just have a spanking! =))
    Good luck, Jim
    p.s. I just love that little guy!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Great Post -- but I must admit that putting on my underwear in the morning will come with a chuckle at your expense tomorrow (LOL!) =)) and PAULA -- I love the "naughty step" too! All we need is the t-shirt to wear to that says "I've been NAUGHTY and I can't get up!"

Take care you guys,

Judy
  • If we can put a man on the moon why can't they make underwear with velcro or snaps or something so that you don't have to bend to put them on?!

Next great idea to make us milions (LOL!)

Judy
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    How about "I tried to be Naughty and I can't get up!" =))

Hey Jim, Hope you're feeling better. Maybe we need some salad tongs to help pull undies up??? =)) (I love that little guy too!)

Debbie
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.