Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Excercises post lami and fusion

mugsmmugs Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Was wondering if anyone who has had a fusion and had difficulty w light exercies post-op? I am 3 months post lamis of L3-5 and fusion with plates and screws of L4-5.
Had a difficult post-op course in hospital w excessive bleeding, severe anemia (Ht 7.5) and respiratory arrest with a fall on 1st post-op night.

Have been attempting to gradually increase activity--walking is great and now even run the sweeper; but if i swim or do leg lifts--have left sided back pain the next
day.

It's really getting frustrating as I thought that I would be further along by now. Would appreciate feedback, thanks in advance!!
advertisement

Comments

• First of all, running the vacuum is one of the worst things post surgery. (also, raking and sweeping) Any activity that involves twisting, pushing, pulling and reaching up or to the side should be avoided for many months after fusion. Anything where you twist AND push/pull at the same time is even worse. I am 19 months post fusion. All I have to do is vacuum one room and I can barely move the next day. Sad, but true....

Swimming can be a good exercise, but it is not necessarily for those of us with fusions. For now, you would be better off walking in the pool or doing aqua therapy. What are you doing in the pool?

When swimming most strokes, it puts a lot of stress on the spine if you are kicking your legs and reaching with your arms overhead. Much better for you would be to get one of those swim belts or vests that will support your body in deeper water -- then move your legs like you are walking or gently jogging. You can move your arms too and get a decent aerobic workout without straining your back.

Walking remains your best exercise. Under supervision you could add in light weights. And careful stretching is good.

Here are some ideas from this site:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/rehabilitation-following-lumbar-fusion

You are still early in your recovery. Hang in there and just keep working....This is a race to be won by the tortoise!!

Take good care --
    Gwennie
  • quess I don't have trouble w the vacuum as i do one room and rest. but you bring up some good points in the pool--i didn't realize that arm movement would effect the back so much intil the first visit to they Y. we do have a heated pool and will try that soon. you're right about the walking--can do a mile per day now. tx so much, Gwennie!! best wishes to you...mugs