Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No Weekends

dapopo315ddapopo315 Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's Dapopo again. Today I found out that on Wednesday right after my surgery I will be transported to a rehab facility. Because I'm having my Open TLIF procedure at an out-patient surgery center. Supposidly they've contracted out with this rehab place for care after surgery.

I was told that I would stay for sure Thursday & go home more than likely Friday morning. The doctor doesn't want me in there over the weekend because he doesn't want to have to work on the weekends. ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME???

Not only will I get to enjoy a FUN ride in an ambulance right after my surgery, I will get go home 1 1/2 days after surgery. All I can say is "Yay me!!!" At least all of this makes me forget for a minute how scared I am about my up coming surgery.

Stay tuned for what happens next. :)

• If a doc openly admits he is taking shortcuts like that after major surgery because he's not going to be bothered on weekends, i'd think twice about the doc!
  • Ask your doctor if this is what he'd want for his son/brother/father. The lack of caring of some doctors is staggering.

I'd be asking to be done on a Monday, if his weekends are off limits. Or better still, finding another surgeon.

• I'm with Jen & Felicia on this - you may want to consider another doctor as this is substandard medical care IMO. I had a minimally invasive TLIF and was told to expect a minimum 1-3 day stay in hospital. Had surgery on 7/6, released on 7/8 - I wasn't rushed because of any 'incoveveniece' to medical staff. I'd also check what your particular state's patient bill of rights has to stay about discharge plans (it varies some from state to state). Where I live/had surgery, a formal written discharge plan must be given to you so you can dispute a too early discharge.
  • Are you comfortable having your surgery at an outpatient surgery facility? Is that the typical way it is done where you live? What level are you having operated on? I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with that. I know for sure I wouldn't be thrilled having to be moved to another facility!!

When I was scheduling my fusion, my doctor told me he was going to be out of town the following week (he operates on Tuesdays)and would not be available. Would I prefer another date....and I did. I wanted to know I could get in touch with him, not some on-call guy I had never met.

• You need to discuss this with your Dr.

I had the exact opposite issue. I ended up having/getting to stay an extra night because my surgeon was celebrating Rosh Hashanah with his family and could not work due to the religious holiday. Thus he could not release me from the hospital.

• Thank you for all the comments & suggestions. I contacted my lawyer & he advised me that because workman comp was still paying for this I had to do what they say. He suggested that I take pictures & very good notes. I guess it's - GAME ON!!! :)
  • Hi Dipapo,

Since you live in Missouri and are under work comp, there isn't much that can be changed. More than likely it has more to do with the fact most surgeons own their own medical facilities and can control the cost as well. Not to mention, he/she more than likely has several other surgeries scheduled that day and all of them being done at that location. Depending on which surgery center it is, you may find it to be really nice. I sent you a pm as well. Keep us posted.
  • :H What's up? Long time no hear! :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.