Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will they cancel surgery?

pinknwhtrosesppinknwhtroses Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
my surgery is scheduled for Oct 14, now I have a mild head cold, no fever, no chills, no stomach problems, just a stuffy nose. : ( I called the surgeons office and was told that they might cancel but I am waiting for the dr to call back.. I cant believe this is happening. Blah...


  • Pinky (can I call you that? Or would you prefer Rosey LOL), I hope they don't cancel. I've been asking myself the same question about a nerve block procedure I'm supposted to have on the 14th as well. I think I have the flu. Well, I know I have the flu.

    Good luck and let us know - I'm anxious to hear what they say.

  • I got a head cold about 8 days before my surgery was scheduled. I hit the orange juice hard! I kept vick's vaporub on my feet every night, took vitamin c, kept hydrated (drank tons of water & juice), and got PLENTY of rest. I wasn't going to jeopardize my surgery date.
    By the time the date came around, I was okay to have surgery--just a slight tickle remained in my throat but there was no congestion and my lungs were clear. I went to the doctor a few days before just to make sure that there wasn't anything bacterial going on (i.e. sinus infection).
    The doctor said that in the end it will be up to the anesthesiologist and that they look for clear lungs and no sinus congestion.

    Do what you can to fight off this cold! :)
    Good luck!
  • Oh yeah...and if you have a fever they won't do it either. That would indicate an infection or something bacterial.

    Most colds last 7-10 days and most flus last 3-5 days but can linger in the form of bronchitis or pneumonia if they progress or get worse.

    Anyhoo--my best to both of you and good luck fighting those nasty germs!

  • Well the dr's assistant called me back and said for me to see how things go over the weekend and we will decide on Tuesday if the surgery will be canceled. I will be going to the dr later to get looked at to make sure the is no sinus or ear infection. So I will just wait till Tuesday. Oh well... lol thank you everyone for the responses... Nikki
  • It is hard enough to get yourself ready for surgery, without having to worry about cancelling. Lot's of vitamin C and zink, plenty of veggies. Praying your surgery will go as scheduled, great oytcome and speedy recovery! God Bless!
  • so i went in to see my dr and he said that i had a combination of allergy and sinus cold.. he also said i was dehydrated, so i asked for an iv and he also gave me a steroid to help with the nasal swelling.. i feel so much better after the iv.. also a nasal spray for the next couple days... he said that i should be ok for the surgery. i will fight this little what ever it is, i refuse to get sick. i think i was dehydrated because i threw up the other day from taking my pain meds on an empty stomach... thank you Nikki
  • Make sure your cold medicine doesn't contain any aspirin or ibuprofen (acetaminophen is OK), and when upping those vitamins don't take an extra vitamin E - I believe its in Airborne. They will probably check blood work on tuesday - a white blood cell count and ESR (sedimentation rate) just to make sure you don't have a significant active infection - wait check that you will have a high white count from the steroid. Teh surgeon prescribed the steroid right (or at least OK'd it?). Some surgeons don't want their patients on any steroids right before surgery (some don't care). Good luck I hope you feel better!

    You too Cath!
Sign In or Register to comment.