Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG - what to expect - what I need to know

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Everyone

Neuro decided yesterday to do EMG on both arms next week. I looked it up on the site but I don't see much info. I get the basic idea that they are going to stick needles in my muscles to do a circuit test. (My electrician husband thinks this is funny. Says he could do it for free)

What I wanted to know is what I can expect afterward (can i drive, I've seen that sensations last a while), do I need to do anything before (no meds, no PT etc) and anything else anyone can think of.

• There are no pre or post restrictions with an EMG. The test is a little uncomfortable, but well worth it to help in diagnosing any nerve involvement.

Best to you,

• Yes, it is uncomfortable. Kind of like accupuncture, I would assume. I have had 3 so far. You should be good to drive. I have never had much residual pain. Just a little soreness later. Tell your husband to hook you up to DC voltage and use an old stereo speaker. That ought to do it :-)

They may include a Nerve Conductivity Velocity test. All my EMGs have included both. If you have the info on your testing facility, you might give them a call about prep. Some places say no lotions, deoderant, etc. before the tests because it can interfer. Others don't even mention this. Good luck.
  • my husband is an electrician as well and sat there with the neurologist yapping about current used etc while i sat there getting poked and nerves stimultated. the test is not fun but not that bad either.no prep instructions given to me.it was helpful in isolating the nerve issue and it was determined i had nerve problems from the cervical area.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Kris,
    I'll agree with the others here, I have had a few EMG's, nothing to worry about. You may or may not find it a little uncomfortable, it can determine the
    origin of nerve impingement and damage. The administrator of my last EMG was very informative in describing where he was testing and what he was reading on the graph.
    Take care,
  • Here is a link from the NIH. Also read the part on nerve conduction as they are almost always performed together:

If someone is contemplating acupuncture but has not tried it yet, I just wanted to set the record straight. EMG testing is nothing like acupuncture, other than they both use needles. I know you were joking, Lumpy, but I wouldn't want to scare someone off from acupuncture, as it can be very effective.