Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please tell about Methadone experiences

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
Hi everyone. Is there anyone taking Methadone out there? Please tell me how you're doing and if it works as well as Oxycontin. What about break through pain? Does it take care of it as well? Don't be afraid..tell me the good, bad, and the ugly. Thanks O:)

• Meyday,
    Methadone works very well for chronic pain and even works well with neuropathic pain. Much better than most pain relievers out there and it has been around so long , so it is also inexpensive.
    Some doctors do prescribe a break through med and others don't. That is something that you should discuss with your PM prior to starting methadone.
    Methadone has a very long half life, which means that it stays in your system for a long time. Dosing titrations need to be done slowly and over the course of a few days between adjustments for your body to adjust to the new blood levels and to see what if any side effects you might experience.
    The biggest side effect that I have experienced on it is the drowsiness. It usually goes away after several days once you become accustomed to the dosage, but it can be a bit tiresome to deal with, while it is going on. I also got somewhat forgetful so had to start writing down what times I took my medication so as not to double dose.
    It's a good pain med as long as you have a doctor who knows what they are doing when prescribing it.
  • I read on Wikipedia that the higher the dose, the less analgesia you get and the higher doses are for people who are getting off illicit drugs such as heroin. I know I'm having a hard time understand how Methadone works- it seems so complicated. How does it relieve pain when it blocks the receptors that narcotic medications bind to? Thanks
  • I have been taking it for 2 years now. I was so afraid to get started on it at first until I was in so much pain that I was left with no other choice. It was the best thing that I ever did when it comes to my pain issues. It is not at all like the fast acting meds. This stuff stays in your system for a very, very long time so the doc will normally start you very low and not make any changes foe at least 1 week. I will never forget that after about 1 week I got out of bed one morning and it was like a miracle. About 90% of my pain had just vanished. Now I do need breakthrough meds for the times that I overdo (grocery shopping etc.) and still take a muscle relaxer for spasms but I have no regrets at all. It is extremely inexpensive. My PM doc said that it works every bit as well if not better than oxycontin and oxy is soooo expensive that in his opinion it would be very foolish to take oxy instead of methadone. You myght want to check it out at this website as it is other patients giving their experience with any medication
    Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • Please see my post about opiates and constipation. Not a pleasant subject but the only major side effect that I have had from the Methadone.
  • It's my 3rd day and so far I'm still among the living. I haven't had any side effects except feeling a bit worn out and sometimes "weird", but it's do-able. I will read your post about constipation which I think it's very important. I believe I responded to it long ago and it's a subject we all can relate to and learn how to combat against it. Thanks
  • Hi Meydey,

I just noticed you have been switched to Methadone and I hope you are receiving good pain relief from it. It's great to hear the cost is low, too.

I was wondering if the switch to Methadone is due to the Oxy shortage going on in your neck of the woods? Are you off the BT meds, too?

I hope all is well and you are getting good pain control.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I also use methadone. I'm in agreement with J.J. it works better for me than all of the many, many other med. I've used. It's not without side effects, none are. and constipation will still haunt you. And a break trough med is necessary. I use a hydrocodone compound and diazepam for muscle relaxer. Some like it some don't. But you need to give it about a month to really see how it's going to work for you. A couple of days or a couple of weeks isn't long enough.
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Meydey,

I hope everything is okay with you. I'm a little concerned, as I haven't seen you post for a couple of days?

Please let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.

Thinking of you,

• I'm here and not pushing daisies. Thanks for checking on me and I appreciate you guys very much. O:)

Well, I switched from Oxycontin for cost and availability reasons. I also get breakthrough pain with Methadone and I need to discuss it with my PM at my follow up visit. I also know the weather has been wreaking havoc and causing me further pain. Oh well, what can you do?
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    can really be a deal breaker! I use celebrex 200 mg.2 a day. And occasionally switch to plain old Anacin
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm sorry you're feeling bad too. Try a heating pad on your back because the hardware does cool off and causes additional pain, so I've been told. It would have been nice to have been warned ;) No matter, heat will do the trick. Take care
  • Don't give up on the methadone yet. The longer that you are on it the better it works. It also made me very sick for about the first month that I took it. I had to keep a chunk of ginger root in my mouth all the time. I did get past the nausea though. Good luck and I hope that you are feeling better.