Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain is getting worse

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
It seems as more time goes by since my fusion the pain is continuing to get worse. To those who dont know I had c5-6 corpectomy with fusion c4 thru c7. I have seen the neuro and he states everything looks good so why the pain? Could it be the added weight of the fusions on disc below? I am really starting to struggle with everyday activities. I have even began to collect all medical records for I fear filing disability is just around the corner. By the time my work day is over I am in extreme pain and come home and go to bed. Pain meds are not working very well lately. I discussed my concerns with PM doctor and he added a few meds to try and ease up on the pain but it is not working. The pain is located in lower neck only. No arm pain. No shoulder pain. Just the area below the fusion. Could it be hardware pain? It seems as if my healing process is going backwards not forward.
Has anyone else experienced this after a fusion? Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
Susan
Surgery was June 26th 2009
advertisement

Comments

• Although I cant comment on your post pain trouble Please keep me informed as to any new findings regarding your recovery as I will soon be getting the same type surgery as you have had!.any reports of worse pain instead of less worries me! I will add you to my buddy list so please let me know of any new developments! THANKS!
  • Although I cant comment on your post pain trouble Please keep me informed as to any new findings regarding your recovery as I will soon be getting the same type surgery as you have had!.any reports of worse pain instead of less worries me! I will add you to my buddy list so please let me know of any new developments! THANKS!
  • So sorry to hear you are in such bad pain. What do you do for work? Do you have disability insurance? Maybe more time to rest would help.

Best to you,

Marianne
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have a desk job which is not good for the neck. Work has been very understanding of my issues and require me to take a 30 minute break after every 3 hours of work. As far as disability insurance I do have, but long term disability is not an option until May due to pre-existing. I feel like I have so much pressure on my spine and the only time I get relief is laying down. Since I am early in the healing process I am not allowed to have anti-inflammatories or steroids but I am not sure that we even help. PM doc had blood test done to check for inflammation and blood work came back fine. I do not feel like it is muscle. It feels like bone pain. What concerns me is as more time goes on it continues to worsen.
    Susan
  • I can relate. I had revision to prior ACDF with posterior vertebrectomies, laminectomy and fusion. I think I understand the neck pain you are referring to, although I also have pain in my shoulders, and well--everywhere from the spinal cord injury I had. Anyway, I have worked with my doctors for a long time with different treatment options, and about the only thing that gives me good relief is trigger point injections very close to my neck, right at the base. I also have them in the shoulder muscle triggers, but what I feel is "bone" pain in my neck is likely the muscles tightening very close to the hardware. This posterior surgery is very difficult for some of us to recover from. The good news is you are early out, although it doesn't feel that way, does it?

I have found that I have to use a very high back chair with head support, and even use a neck pillow always if I am sitting, even when I go out in public. That was a difficult thing to do, but it gives extra support, which is about the only way I can sit for more than 10-15 minutes. Also, when walking, always find some way to support your arms so that the weight of them hanging doesn't pull on your neck.

Have you had anyone come in and "ergonomically" set up your work area? Things like raising your computer monitor to eye level (top of screen at eyebrows), sitting with proper posture, getting up and moving around a lot, doing stretches while at your desk, etc. tend to help somewhat.

Susan, I wish I had a magic wand and could help all of us with this posterior pain. It seems to be too common! I don't have any real answers, but want you to know I understand.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are in pain, I hope your doctor can find to cause and give you relief. I had C4-7 fusion done Dec 8th 2008 with cage and plate, 8 screws, six hour surgery due to bone spurs. I did great until mid March and started to have new neck pain on the right side. 7 months later with pills, pt, MRI,CT and x-rays they are still trying to find what is the cause. My NS is reviewing everything and I see him next Wed. I had to go on state disability until they find what is wrong. The pills I am on now kick my butt for a couple hours each time I take them (every 6 hours). I am hopeful my NS will find what is wrong, he seems 100% he will find where the pain is coming from.
    Good luck, remember there is ONE who can help if we ask him.
    Rick
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Your situation seems alot like mine. Frustrating isnt it! Keep me informed as to your situation and the outcome. Strange how we both seemed to get worse during the recovery. I like yourself was doing pretty good for awhile then down hill I went.
    Susan
  • I also have pain in the back of my neck, mostly below my fusion as well - it's a deep achy pain. My surgeon's PA says it's pain from my C6/7 due to slow fusion. It's so difficult for the C6/7 to fuse because it moves every time you move your head.

Hope you get to feeling better.
    Cath
  • I had an ACDf C5-6 on Aug 24. Unfortunately I still have a lot of shoulder pain, and still get tingling in my arms too, but the worse pain from week 2 has been in the area of where the disc is or right below it. It's constant, and when I sit unsupported it seems to get worse. I asked my surgeon about this and he said that it was because I am still inflamed.

Have you had PT? I am re starting in a week, and hope they can help that pain if it is muscular.

ilene

Ilene
  • Post deleted by moderator (jeaux). Member is banned.
  • I have that weird pain at the bottom of my neck under the surgery. I had 4/5 5/6 and 6/7 done. It's under the 6/7.

I feel it most when I'm walking. It's like my body can't hold my neck. It really aches. I just keep walking, breathing and trying to stand up straighter. If I can make it for a about 15 minutes it subsides some and then my walk is more fun.

I get burning at the base of my head when I work on the computer. I can only stay on for 20 minutes and then need a break. I have a timer next to my computer and I set it for 20 minutes so I stop before the burn. If I stop when it burns I have to go lay down and boring stuff like that.

I sure hope mine gets better I'm only 3 months along. I get to lifts weights now so I hope to build up my shoulders and upper back so they can hold this crazy head!
advertisement