Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I filed for SSDI

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I filed for SSDI some months ago. I filed around the end of June as I recall. I had been on Long Term Disability for one year through my employer. I went back to work for 3 weeks. However, I was in so much pain I had to quit my job of 7 years.

My Long Term Disability Claim Manager advised I go with a Law Firm they that did nothing but SSDI cases. I did so. I had I had a cervical laminectomy in April that did not take away my pain. It did decompression. I have a narrower than normal spinal canal. It looks like I have permanent nerve damage however. I continue to have severe pain in both my arms from my shoulders to my hands with tingling, non-stop. I cannot use my hands or arms to work.

I was turned down on my first request for SSDI. The SSDI people said my medical records indicated I should be healed enough to return to work by October. It did not happen. There has been no improvement at all in my condition. I told my surgeon this. He noted this in my medical record. He noted that I cannot work. So hopefully in my reconsideration they will notice this and I will be approved this go around.

I am in this for the long haul and will take this until I am approved.

Ken GreyEagle Wiens

• From what I've read about others who have made claims, the key is to stick with it. If you know that it is right for you, then don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

• I filed for SS 5 years ago and received compensation
    retroactively. The fact that you tried to go back to work should be in your favor--i was told that.
    Keep at it and wishing you the best!! mugs
  • haglandc said:
    From what I've read about others who have made claims, the key is to stick with it. If you know that it is right for you, then don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Thanks so much! I sure will be doing this! It's a tough road! Fortunately, my LTD Company will continue to pay me until I am accepted. They will get their 'cut' from the settlement. I don't mind obviously. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Ken GreyEagle
  • Stick with it and try not to get discouraged. I applied in January of 08 and I am scheduled for a hearing on Oct. 19. I was denied the first time and was told that they did not think that my disability would last 1 year. I guess because I had just had surgery in Nov. 07. That was actually my last resort after going through 4 years of struggling trying to keep my job. Anyway, I do think that perserverance may be the key to success. Good luck to you both and I will let you know how I make out.
  • HI Guys,
    I also filrd for disability the end of June but have not heard anything yet. They keep sending me paperwork to fill out and send back. I did go with a lawyer that deals with only this kind of cases, they seem to think all is well but when the case worker called she seems to think that my husband has to many assets. Which of course has nothing to do with me, he had these things prior to me marrying him and will keep his things, that has nothing to do with my ability to earn wages . Good luck and hang in there as I will do the same.

• Wishing you good luck'
  • I am pretty darn sure that the only thing that matters as far as income goes is that you have enough credits in the system to be eligible for SSD. I am glad that you hired an attorney. It sounds like someone was trying to pull the wool over your eyes! Good luck.
  • When Assets come in to play is on the SSI claims (Supplemental Security Income). This is usually for lower income families and the money used to pay these benefits come from your state's general tax fund.

It is not uncommon for individuals to file claims for both the SSD and SSI claims. Usually this is done at the onset kind of automatic like.

It's no problem if your husband has too many assets for SSI, because you can still file the SSD claim (based on what you paid into Social Security). Unless your family is in financial straits.

Some things that count as assets (that we don't really think about) are Life Insurance Policies with Cash value; Land we forgot we had, too many cars (each household is allowed only one car, I beleive). Things like that. Oh, and INCOME of course. Also, Tweety - this is for you - if your husband had these things before you married, but you are still married, it is counted as HOUSEHOLD assets and not necessarily your assets. It is basically whatever the household can sell to live off of... (please don't shoot the messenger!)

Hope this clears up any confusion...

The main thing with these claims is STICK TO IT. Even though someone may not meet the disability requirements at the time they were denied, if they file all appeals and what not, they likely will meet the requirements by the time they do all that.

Good luck Tweety and JJ!!!