Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sighhhhhhhhh, with two herniated discs

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Depression and Coping
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I have been having sciatica for almost 10 months now. I am a 25 year old male, 6in 2ft tall. 250 pounds. I knew a couple of months ago I had two lumbar disc herniations in the L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs pushing against the sciatic nerve of my right leg. I am constantly reminded by the this dreaded illness due to the pain associated with it. I feel so sorry for myself as I'm only 25. At the same time I feel so angry. Every time I remember this permanent damage that occurred to my spine, and that I will never be normal again for the rest of my life, I get so angry and I feel so confused, devastated and aggravated. I just get to a point where I don't know what to do. Deep inside I melt down every time I think about my future and how I'm going to live for the rest of my life with something constantly agonizing you to your very soul....

I have been going to physical therapy for the last two weeks and had a spinal epidural injection and nothing seems to work. The doctor said that if the physical therapy and epidural didn't help, than we can discuss surgery, "Microdiscectomy".

Sometimes I feel like breaking down and crying because I have been cornered by this condition, and because spinal surgeries don't have good reputations either.

What do I do at this point? I got nothing, I'm just trying to keep myself pulled together but it seems like this thing has started to get to me.... Please let me know what you think.... Anything, say good, say bad,,, just say whatever you want....

I just wanted somebody to read this,,, just you reading it would make me feel a lot better,,,,

Thank you all,

• It's rough you're having this pain. I've had some relief from leg pain by Cymbalta and my infrared platinum heating pad. I was hopping to start aquatherapy after I see the next Pain Management Dr. to see if they have a heated pool there and heard it helps. This has been a great place for support for me for over a year and lots of info here. I also got some good info from www.chirogeek.com. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • changing your signature line from "nothing" to something much more positive.

Your life isn't over- far from it. You are too young to feel and think this way. You have a long life ahead of you. Your attitude needs to be in a GOOD state even when its hard. Yes you can overcome this, yes you will get through it ALL! Its ok to melt down but DoNt quit! Do all your doctor tells you to do and make wise choices for your back. You have to do it for yourself because nobody out there can do it for you.
    I have had back pain and two back surgeries and I am currently healing from 2 level 360 lumbar fusion- I have too much in my life to just throw in the towel inspite of how much pain I am in daily. So you are NOT alone in your pain. I have made the choice to embrace the new ways I have to do things because of my back. I am realistic about my recovery and the outcome in the end. My back will NeVER be as God intended it to be.
    Being angry isn't helping but only intesifying your pain-

What medications are you on? Give PT more time- if its only been two weeks. Do you take anything for nerve pain such as Cymbalta which also helps with depression.

Good luck to you- keep your head up and know you have spiney friends here to support you- 24/7

• As others have said, you should give yourself more time for PT to help you. If you are finding that land PT is too much, see if you can find a place that does aqua pool PT.

I am not sure if you had your ESI recently. Sometimes, they need a little time to work their "magic." I know for me that it took longer than 3 days for me to feel the effect of them. So, patience is really key. I know that is easier said than done sometimes.

In terms of surgery if these treatments don't work, you will do yourself a world of good if you get a second or sometimes third opinion. Meanwhile, try to remain positive and patient, being negative only brings more negativity around you. Try ice or heat to relieve some of your pain. Just keep trying and fighting.

I hope this helps.
  • charry, hope4leo, and Nikon.

Thank you all for the help and support.

I'm not currently taking any medications for pain, because all I heard was that they mask the problem without solving it.

I take Paxil 40mg for anxiety for more than two years now.

I had my ESI a week and half ago. I'm going to try my best to keep myself together and I will be on the lookout for anything you guys post because you seem to be at a better mental state than me now and your posts are more realistic.

Thank you all one more time,