Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cane with seat attached

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi Spineys,

Well, my Disney trip is 2+ weeks away from today. I know you can rent a wheelchair or motorized scooter if needed.
However, I don't want my husband to have to push me around,(and it might upset the kids, too). As for the scooters, I have a hard enough time trying not to trip over my kids when walking, they constantly wander in front of me, then stop! LOL...

Anyway, I am hoping It won't come to that. What I was wondering is if any of you have used those canes that have a built in seat?

I think I'll be fine walking, its the line standing that would probably do me in and I think this might help, I can sit on the seat while waiting. Please let me know if you have used one and if it helped or not.

Thanks for any input. Oh, I will use the wheelchair or scooter if I have to, not trying to be in denial!

• I was loaned a walker for a few weeks from my Mother's friend and it was great to have a seat to sit on halfway through my walk. It even had a basket on the front. I hope it helps you get around. Lol about the kids stopping right in front of the scooter. Have a great time! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have one but I don't find it very useful. It is awkward to carry and uncomfortable to sit on. However, I have a friend who took hers on an art trip to Italy. She used it in all the museums and it saved the day for her. I suppose it may have to do with how tall you are!!

Good luck. Should be a nice time of year to tackle Disney.

• for your input. I am short (5' 1"), after fusion I may gain 1/2 to 3/4"! I think my petite staure would not help. Maybe I will try one out before I go on the trip.
  • if you are worrried about being seen in the wheel chair, take some trial runs with the children. :D it may be the best solution and one or two times seeing you in the chair may be all your children need to see just how "regular" it is! have a great trip.. you will manage it, just tackle these issues early!!! Jenny :)
  • Good point Lulu, I'm just really hoping that my pain won't be so bad as to require a wheelchair! Wishful, positive thinking, I guess. I should also give my kids more credit, they deserve it; more likely its me, I don't want my pain to be so bad that I NEED to have to deal with w-chair or scooter. Know what I mean?

Thanks for your help, Lisa
  • about a walker with a seat? The hospital gave me one to use in the hospital and to my surprise, they said it was mine to take home. Have fun on your trip and enjoy yourself-

• I too used a walker with a seat for quite a while. It was wonderful to be able to take a few steps and turn around and sit down when needed. this may be a good solution for you.

I just wanted to mention that using a scooter or wheelchair may not be a bad idea. I recently went on a trip and my doctor suggested I use a scooter. I was VERY resistant to the idea. After much thought, I decided that by using a scooter it would make things more comfortable not only for me, but the rest of the family would not be as worried about me. If using a scooter or wheelchair helps you to do more, be out longer, etc. it is well worth it, in my opinion. also, in Disneyland anyone in a wheelchair or scooter doesn't have to wait in the long lines. they will take you right up to the front (and the family comes along). I haven't been to Disney since all of my spine issues began, but I have a friend who just told me this. That would be a big plus!

have fun on your trip. Stay off the roller coasters though, lol.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I'm up late tonight thinking of all the stuff I have to remember to pack (somehow hubby can pack for himself in 20 minutes, while I have to deal with me and the 2 kids and all the crap that goes with us), I just don't how I will feel, pain-wise, and trying to figure out all the options.

BTW, do you need a Dr. note to rent a scooter or w-chair? Of course, I could always whip my shirt up/shorts down and show off my lovely scars, but I may frighten small children!
  • You don't need a Dr. note for scooter or w-chair. I did Disney on a scooter 10 years ago. I'm sorry to say it wasn't easy, it was a very crowded time of year. Put on your patience hat for sure! I was following my family through the crowd when a woman walked right in front of me. I almost hit her! Walking away she said to her friend, "Can you believe THOSE people?" I almost jumped off my scooter and beat her with my cane!!! Instead I continued on my way and had to remind myself how lucky I was to be here in this wonderful place with my family. It may have been difficult but I wouldn't trade it for the world. We really had a wonderful time, scooter and all. Are you going to California or Florida? Have a great time and don't let the rude people get you down!!!

Faith M
  • Faith is correct, no dr. note needed. Faith, it does sound difficult to use a scooter. Wow, people are rude!

I'm wondering if a wheelchair would be easier to navigate than a scooter. I know this would require your husband pushing you, but it may be worth it. You could fold it up when you get on one of the trains, or if you want to ride the horse/carriage thing for sight seeing. I don't know how old your children are, but if a little one gets tired, he/she could ride on your lap. Just some thoughts...
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thank you all for your input. I am just glad that I have options (I keep imagining running someone over with the scooter!!)

I am looking forward to our trip (Florida Disney), just don't want my pain issues to get in the way. I'm hoping they won't, and I know how much I can "suck it up" for the good of others.

My younger daughter is very wary of a lot of the tougher rides, which actually works out; she and I can do something restful while hubby and older daughter do the other rides.
    Once I get back I have 2 weeks to go before my next fusion, ALIF L4-S1. Already fused from L2-L4.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    With one of our trips to Italy,I was still in a semi-semi condition (meaning not good not too bad).
    My wife suggested that I get one of those Canes that hand a seat. At first I balked.. But after trying one out, I said ok. Sure they are not the easiest thing to carry around, but they can save you so many times. I never really had to use it when I was in Italy, but our friend, oh did she use it! She is healthy, but doesnt like to walk or stand in lines. So I can tell you how many times if we were on line for something, she would open it up and seat.
    It is something that I would recommend to anyone.
    I held off, probably just because some type of vanity, but I was wrong, those things are GOOD!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm paranoid of the scooters and I don't like the idea of a wheelchair. I've recently, since surgery, decided that the scooter can be your best friend. I understand the not wanting to appear handicapped but the truth is to some degree we are. I think the scooter is a better option than the wheelchair. It free's your husband up to have fun himself. Just sayin how much fun would it be to push someone through disney all day? At best he will be tired and cranky, at worst he could be hurt from the extra exertion. I can't believe the whole world hasn't gone to motorized wheelchairs for people that need them. Anyway I'm medicated tonight(took max pain meds from surgery) and mouthy I just wanted you to consider the scooter. Even if rude people cut you off they deserve to be hit, in my humble opinion. As for your kids, how much fun are they going to have if they have to keep stopping because mommy can't keep up? Wow I really should shut up I am aweful opinionated tonight.
  • I am still bemused that insufficient seating is available when and where possible and we all understand that need of immediacy in sitting down. I did use a cane and for some time it extended my ability to stand in one place, rather than walk any distance and I still have to determine the range of my outing on the basis of returning.

Our local art museum has no seating at all which is strange and for the most part I plan my access on the availability of seated locations moving from one to the next.

The accumulative effort of travelling is never easy even when a better strategy is in place and that option to sit down when you need rather than where possible a vital aspect in us taking some control of unfamiliar surroundings. As with many it is not always apparent visually that we need to sit down and more thought from every business should be given to those who need mandatory rest.

Have a great trip…

• I used a scooter last time we went to Universal Studios.

Not ashamed in the least; I told the kids right off to stay behind or to the side of me. At times when I felt like walking, I let one of the kids (the oldest) work the scooter.

PLUS - we got special treatment on the ride lines!

Good luck and have a great time!
  • Thanks to all who replied. I did order the cane with seat, it was only 30.00 However, If need be I will certainly rent a scooter or wheelchair. I think in my mind I don't want to have to recognize that I will need one (hello denial!)

But let's face it, I have had a 2 level lumbar fusion and another 2 level fusion scheduled for 2 weeks after my trip. My husband keeps asking me if I am going to be up to the trip. I told him for the kids I will get through it, and I will, with a smile on my face!!

Thanks to all for you well wishes, Lisa
  • I know how hard it is, Lisa. I am leaving on a trip tomorrow. There is a museum I want to visit and the only way I can do it will be in a wheelchair. My husband will be attending meetings, so I will be on my own. But I have already made up my mind that I am going to the museum, and will get a wheelchair when I arrive. I can wheel it myself. If I get stuck I'll get out and push it for awhile. After all, I do still walk! I just can't go too far before needing to sit for a bit. This way I'll have my seat with me!!

I never would have considered this a year ago, but the last two museums I went to, we got a wheelchair and my family pushed me. It took some getting used to...but if it was the only way to see it, I decided I'd get in the chair and be glad I was there.

It is a mental adjustment. I hope you and your seat cane will have a successful trip to DisneyWorld and that a good time will be had by all!

• Just wanted to add have loads of fun. Enjoy every single minute with your family.
  • Just wanted to say have a great trip and ENJOY!!
    You and your family will LOVE it!!
    Sending a left arm hug, right arm still bummed.
    Patsy W :H
  • Thanks so much for your comments, support, help, etc.

I am bringing my "seat cane" with the total realization that if I need it, there are the wheelchairs or scooters that I can rent.

I think after these past 9-12 months of such increased pain and needing more (and more) surgery and "slacking off", to deal with my pain, I just want this trip to be as normal as possible.

Oh, by the way, my kids and hubby are meeting with my Dr. to discuss my surgery and what limitations I will have to deal with. I think this is a great idea.
  • This post reminded me of my trip to Disney a few years ago. I did not have back problems at the time but we did have a person in our group with a wheelchair. I have to say that I was surprised at how accomodating they were about it. We rarely if ever had to wait in line for anything. They actually had special entrances for wheelchairs and would pull us out of line to take us in the back way. Anyway, I just thought that I would mention that as it could make the trip a bit easier on you. Especially if you find yourself in a lot of pain from having to stand....
This discussion has been closed.