Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results any input really discouraged

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
everything came back normal except mild disk dessiccation from c2-3 through c5-6. Dr. acts like that could not be causing my pain? Anyone have similiar results and what you did. Also seing an ENT having bad headaches, and stabbing pain in ear, he is sending me for an MRI on the brain. Also the ortho doc. is going to perform an EMG on nervers and muscles....he did say someting about thoracic outlet syndrome.....Just getting discouraged feel like on a endless ride:(

• I really can't offer anything to help you, but I always feel bad when someone gets an MRI and is told that it doesn't show much and can't be causing your pain. We've read that story so many times on these boards.

It seems so odd when someone says that they're getting an MRI and they really hope it shows something bad. I think only us spineys can understand that rationale because getting a bad diagnosis on your MRI validates your pain and means that you can move forward with treatment.

My only question would be who was the doctor that read your MRI? Your MRI could be read differently by different doctors, so if your current doc isn't one, I'd consider taking your MRI to a fellowship-trained spine surgeon who ONLY works on spine issues.

Anyway, take care and please let us know how things progress.
  • Hi Jessie

Sounds pretty much like me. MY MRI showed herniated disk at the base of my neck but because my symtoms at the time didn't match the textbook the surgeon dismissed me.

I have had the sinus and ear pain since the beginning. I am on a nerve relaxant and muscle relaxant and they have reduced how often I get that but not the intensity.

I'm going for a EMG on Thursday and hope to get some more results. I am working with a neurologist now and he is very understanding.

Good Luck
  • Cath111 said:
    ...It seems so odd when someone says that they're getting an MRI and they really hope it shows something bad. I think only us spineys can understand that rationale because getting a bad diagnosis on your MRI validates your pain and means that you can move forward with treatment...
    You are on to something with that point, Cath. To me it is a relief to find out something whether good or bad. It gives me a sense of making progress and having the end closer in sight. It gives me more confidence in my doctors and even in myself. It is hard for me to explain to my spouse why getting bad news makes me happy. It isn't because it is bad news. It is because it removes a question and gives me a sense of seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Jessie, hopefully the EMG will help point toward the real cause. It is just another piece of the puzzle, though. I have had 3 EMG studies done for other nerve issues besides my neck. Each of the doctors told me an EMG/NCV test is not the do-all be-all and can be "normal" even when there is a real problem. Just another indicator. Another step forward.
  • Hi Kris,
    What is the name of your nerve relaxant? I guess I do not recall hearing of this kind of med. It might just help me out.
  • Hi Quilt

I have been taking Neurontin. You start slow because it can make you loopy. I've been able to gradually build up. In fact I am increasing again starting tonight.

Just got back from my EMG. FOrtunately or unfortunately everything is working fine there. A few borderline results but nothing serious enough to do anything. I'm happy that my nerves weren't damaged but part of me is really desperate for an answer to the pain.

Luckily my neurologist is excellent. He is going to meet with me and the PT next week to tell them what he wants done. Complete change of program since the old isn't working. I thank God that he hasn't given up on me. He also said there are other meds to try if this doesnt work.

Remember, if you feel it the pain is real. So if your doctors won't listen find a new doctor!!

PS I brought my husband. Used the excuse that I didn't know if I could drive after having both arms done. I could but it gave him a chance to see that this is real and to talk to the doc. I don't expect anything to change but at least now he knows that I am not making this up.