Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do you think I will have surgery??? I gots sta know....

VerminatorVVerminator Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all, in your medical and not medical opinions do you think I will have to get surgery done? My appointment in this Friday with a NS....but I just cant stop thinking about surgery or none.....

C3-4 and C4-5 and C5-6....the MRI reports says...slight uncovertable osteophytes are noted, which result in moderate left and/or right foraminal narrowing.

C6-7...left paracentral disc protrusion is noted. This results in boderline central stenosis and severe left foraminal narrowing. There is moderate to severe right foraminal narrowing. There is some extruded disc material extending inferior to the disc level along the central aspect.

and more osteophytes at C7 T1 level

so what do you all think??
surgery or no surgery....I have tried some PT with no help.

• Sorry couldn't resist the pun. In truth no one can tell you that other than your doctor. ANyone else is just guessing.

Everyone is different so I might have the same MRI results but different pain or symptoms. Also the overall health of the patient and age are huge factors. SO again everyone is different.

I know how hard it is to wait. Part of me whats to have a firm reason for my problems and a cure that will take me back to 6 months ago. Another part of me knows that even a fix is never a complete cure with these injuries.

Good Luck on Friday and be patient. Try not to convince yourself one way or another so you won't be disappointed.
  • I have all the symptoms others have had......achy shoulders...headaches radiating from my neck, sore arm, numbness, tingling in hand and fingers.
    I will be disappointed if I dont have surgery....since PT didnt help.....or is it maybe I just want some time off from work...LOL
  • I hear you about the time off from work. However keep in mind that unless it's a workers comp issue you could lose your job if you are out too long. Here in NY we have 12 weeks and then you can be let go. I went back 5 weeks after rotator cuff surgery because I knew I had more problems and wanted to leave as much time as possible.

Also surgery, from the stories I see here on the site, is not a fix me up and I'm fine situation. Most people seem to have as much pain and sometimes even more after surgery. Surgery seems to be more of a stabilization procedure.

Yesterday was 6 months since my car accident. Treatment has taken over my life. I wish there was something that would make this all go away. I am just beginning to accept that it won't. The best we can hope for is to find a way to live with what we have.
  • The vast majority of people who have fusions never come on this message board and have very successful surgery.

Don't let the the posts where things have gone wrong scare you. A good surgeon will only do a surgery if he believes he can help you.

Verminator I think it is a good possibilty that you may be offered a surgical treatment.

My surgeon said to me not to long ago, there is no injection or traction that is going to remove the osteophytes or rehydrate the collapsed discs. It would be a waste of money and I would still be in pain.

Peace :O)