Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervival Surgery or Injections? PT to no avail, NS meeting in 2 weeks, Compressed Root nerve C5/C6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Hi everyone,

My MRI results are revealed below:

I have had traction with the PT now twice a week for a couple of months, although I obtain relief at the time the pain returns that evening.

I have tried all conventions of Meds too, some which help and some that don't but regardless when I stop taking the Meds the pain returns.

My pain is mainly in the neck but I have the usual mild left arm pain and thumb and forefinger tingling. I have considerable neck movement in all directions but I have pain at extremes e.g up and down.

My main concerns are if I opt for injections, does this just disguise the pain and when it wears off is it a case of the pain returning or can this period allow things to go back to normal?

The bulk of my problem appears to be bone spurs cauasing a forminal stenosis of a root nerve left C5/C6????? So if I were to opt for surgery which type do you think is likely?

If it were for example ACDF, does this not just cause a domino effect and result in other levels requiring surgery in time?

Is there any un-invasive surgery available for my problem as the issue doesnt't have disc or spinal chord problems.

Being relatively fit and 36 do you think I would be able to jog, cycle, play soccer again if a certain surgery procedure took place? Sorry for all the questions, any advice is much appreciated.

MRI results:

There is movement artifact on several of the sequences. Alignment maintained but there is loss of the cervical lordosis.

There is a partial fusion of the posterior aspect of the bodies of C7 and T1. Degenerative disk disease is seen above this level.

At C5/C6 there is a broad disk osteophyte bar more prominent on the right but with narrowing of both exit formina again more prominent on the right. Canal dimensions are adequate.

At C6/C7 there is again a broad disk osteophyte bar with narrowing of both exit formina but adequate canal dimensions.

• Hats off to you as to how well you wrote the above comments/questions. I did all sorts of trmnts for 6 mos & I even tried the injections just because they say it works for some, but after 3 of them, no relief. You should try because who knows, you might be one of them. Would be verrrry niiiiice!
    C5-6, C6-7 seems to be the most talked about area.
    Your MRI states forima stenosis @ C5-6, C6-7, which means nerve impendment there. Mine did too.
    I had a "Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy" at those levels on April 28th. You ask about a domino effect from ACDF, etc - my neighbor had an ACDF & she is heald with no other problems. Please let me know if the injections work first, then let me know what your surgeon has decided best for your situation. Would like to know.
    You take care
  • Ms Julie,

Thank you for your advice and kind words, I certainly will update you to my outcome. Regarding injections do you know if they eliminate needing to take Meds? Could I ask also how long injections are meant to normally last?

Thank you again

• Everyone is different by golly. That's all I hear. Never get a straight answer. Don't think anyone knows for sure. Strange, but true. You'll see.
  • Very true, a popular expression within the spine fraternity 'everyone is different', I suppose I shall just have to wait and see. Thanks again