Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

the pain truth is: there is always someone worse off than ourselves

starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Matters of the Heart
Today (not everyday) i thought of how worse off some have.
this came to me after of course I was feeling my pain,physcial & emotional. i really wanted to crawl back to bed after kids went off to school, rainy, cold,and few hours of sleep.i was glad an sad when i got an idea to go by friends house, i thought i need to put a smile on her face today.so i drove to store an got a smiley cake for her and a card and stopped by her house,she wasnt there.
when i turned corner i saw her comin home.With her daughter whom she takes out in her van daily,so her daughter can have change of surroundings. her daughter holly is disabled and has no verbal and list of terrible problems. holly is 22 and she still has great brain just (as her mom would say chitty body) i stopped but she was exhausted as usual.her husband was in bike accident hit his head and has short term memory loss,for last five years.
so the pain truth(not plain) is that i believe if only for and instant just small jester can make someone feel happy
for that moment.
Someone is always worse off than me.
i sat in my driveway and cried .
because i thought of my pain and just plain thought of myself.
may sound mushie to some but pls take the time to say kind word or do little something for someone else. and just sad when i read back. used so many I"S
neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
daily goal do good thing for someone.

• for thinking of your friend like that.

I feel for your friend and her circumstances. It is true, there is always someone worse off than we are at any given time.

I've found that thought puts things into perspective, for sure; but you can't let it lessen or diminish the turmoil you are going through. Just because someone's problems are worse than yours, does that make your problems any less real? Of course not.

I try everyday, just to thank God or the forces that be that I am alive. I have a job I could complain about (if I wanted to; but I love my job); I have bills to pay, but at least I have the necessities those bills bring me; I could complain about the traffic, but just glad I have a car and that those around me have places to go and things to do and people to see. That means that inspite of all my sad little insignificant problems, life still goes on.

YOU are one of those angels we hear about so much. Someone who takes the time out of their own hectic life to bring a little sunshine to someone who may need it at the moment.

Grab a pen - I'll be giving you MY address so you can drop by with a smiley cake for me!

Take care!
  • I wish the world had more nice people -- that would be heaven on earth.

I'll take a piece of that smiley cake -- never in my life have I passed up a piece of cake (LOL!)

Thanks Watergirl for your good heart!

• Watergirl,
    It is not always apparent when others are worse than ourselves and I too have always been fascinated how this analogy help order the provision of how we ourselves assess our plight.

When those initial changes take place it is understandable that those changes in themselves seem insurmountable and more dire, in the knowledge that others are worse does not in effect reduce the severity of our actual pain and attempting to think of other things, when pain dominates our whole existence a necessary and developing skill.

My tri-limbless son accepts his own situation with grace and tenacity, it would be difficult for me to equate my own condition with his, he is looking to me for leadership guidance and support.

Our life may well be a flight plan not that we had design or expected and perhaps our measure is in how we deal with that imposed changed and continuing angst. My son was in a coma for four weeks and that in itself put my condition in some perspective, if perhaps we feel that our situation could be no worse in reality it could, it does take time for these analogies to develop and for us not to see the negative aspect of all situations, that is difficult and we need a life of doing, not regretting what we cannot do now but look to the future and search out alternative success.

The thing for us is to live with the pain and not in it, it should not define who we are, however dominant its severity, that is easy said and hard to do, we all do well with what is left and all those hopes and dreams fading into the past and everyday becomes a battle, others too have difficult situation and it takes a special person to see a need in someone else while requiring help themselves. They have put themselves aside for the betterment of others and an element of those tears are for others even less fortunate than ourselves, where ever that is.

Take care John

• What a wonderful kind heart you have :)

When I am at the breaking point and feel so empty, I think of others I know how are worse then me. It gives me the ability to see how GOOD I do have it and pull myself off the pity pot ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.