Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not super new, and maybe looking for a BB buddy or two

awalker819aawalker819 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all! I've been checking out the forum for a few months ow and have posted a time or two. On Oct 9th I had L4-S1 TLIF. I was only in the hospital 3 days, and was up walking totally on my own on the 2nd day. I was on morphine the first 2 days and then switched to Perc the 3rd day because I was in very little pain (compared to what I went through for the year prior to surgery). Even though I was walking and moving well, I just could not sleep in my bed until I got a couple pieces of 3 in thick memory foam to lay under me (my parents cut the memory foam off their bed before they got a new one). I now have no trouble getting in or out of bed, but the memory foam isn't going anywhere because I still don't think I could sleep without it yet. I'm only taking Perc at night to sleep as I get stiff and sore from being in one position too long. And the hardware is still pretty uncomfortable when I'm on my back. But really I feel like I'm doing great, and every day I make the effort to walk a little more, and every day is better.

I know I still have a long road ahead, but I'm excited and optimistic. My only really complaint is how bored and lonely I know I'm going to get. I'm a very independent and active person (well was before the pain and surgery), and being stuck at home with hardly anyone to talk to is getting old already. I talk to friends off and on during the day, but they're all working or in school, or both so I spend a lot of time at home alone. So I'm just looking for people to talk to and ways to keep myself entertained so to speak :) But where most people would make friends online, I get real sick of being on the computer, as I'm a graphic designer, so normally I'm on the computer constantly for work. So I thought I'd see if anyone if anyone is interested in being a text or BlackBerry messenger buddy (or google chat, AIM etc. Typical of my generation I suppose I spend a lot of time texting or IMing on my phone and very little actually chatting. So if anyone is interested PM me with your #, BB PIN, username, whatever or ask me for mine and we can talk!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am afraid i am a computor bunny, i love mine and am not one for texting or that other stuff but some one will be by i am sure. you might like the chat room here. in the meantime, make yourself at home and make some new spiney friends.. :D Jenny :)
  • I am sorry to say that texting drives me nuts. I feel like it would be so much easier to call someone than go through all of that. I have found many friendly and supportive folks on this site and there is usually somebody here to talk to anytime, day or night. Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad that you're doing so well since your surgery. I hope you continue to improve. I'm sorry but I'm the same as Jenny & JJ above. I'm not much for texting either. I'm sure you'll find a text buddy soon though.
    Take care,
  • I kind of had a feeling no one would be interested but thought it was worth a shot!
  • If you need a chatting buddy, I am here. My name is Chris. I have just joined this forum. If you are still interested we can AIM,Yahoo IM or chat online, whenever you want. Send me an email to rifles75@gmail.com and let me know if you want to chat. I have just posted here telling of my struggles with never ending back pain. I am just starting my journey. It is glad to see you have at least had surgery. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Let me know I am on most of the time, can't do anything else since I am off work(LOL).Thks Chris
  • I know several people have said they hate the whole text thing or are really only on the comp, and that's great too. I'd be happy to google chat, yahoo IM, AIM, whatever. I have everything on my phone and on my comp so basically willing to chat any way anyone needs or wants. Just hopin to chat with a few people who can relate to what I'm going (and have already been) through.
  • Hey girl... you posted in my intro thread and I know what it's like to sit all day alone as I work from home and do most of my work communication via IM. With all my neck/back and other health problems, I know all too well about feeling down and depressed and then not having anyone to talk to. People think the working from home is a dream, but they don't realize how it only helps to take you away from socializing with others. I'm going to shoot you a PM with my BB pin and my AOL IM name. Please feel free to message anytime as I think we can help each other out. Keep your head up! :)

- Liz
  • Hi, I'd love to keep in touch with you. I will send you a buddy request. I'm having my surgery in Nov so I'll be in your shoes soon. Take care.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Spine-Health has 5 CHAT rooms opened 24x7. Though I will let you know that once you start into one of those chat rooms, you will probably spend most of the time typing away.
    But this is another avenue for you
    During the recovery phrase you need to find something besides all the medical things you need to do is something for your mind.... Keeping the brain active and ready is so important.
    So people forget about that, so by the time they are physically healed and ready. they almost forget what they can again
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com