Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming L5/S1 Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Laminotomy/microdiscetomy is scheduled for October 22, and I am unbelievably anxious. Aside from the screaming radicular pain, this injury has caused an unreal amount of emotional issues. I have been a bit of a mess, acting out of character, and all of this has caused stress in my marriage, derailed progress in a number of areas...My biggest fear is that I am placing entirely too much emphasis on the surgery as a panacea...That perhaps solving the back issue will allow me to focus on everything else. Has anybody else dealt with depression as a result of back pain? Has it caused stress in your personal life? Did things improve for you post-surgery?

• sorry you are going through so much and emotional stress. I am on Cymbalta for nerve pain and it also help me with depression. Talk to you doctor and let him/her know what you are going through mentally and emotionally.

Back pain in person can affect the entire family. Some family members dont understand the pain you in and are feeling. Hopefully your spouse can and will go to your doctors appointment to get a better understanding what you are dealing with pain-wise.

Please understand that you may want to consider getting yourself truly mentally ready for this upcoming surgery as the recovery is long, slow and very very hard. Sit down with your spouse and tell them how you feel and listen to what and how they are feeling. They may feel as if their needs are being met if there is so much emphasis on your surgery. Communication is key - I do realize that not all marriage are good and great- and that there is far more to the story.

What is your expectation in regards to the results you are looking for in this surgery?

• Honestly? I want the stiffness in my back and searing pain down my right leg to go away. I want my foot to stop tingling. Unrealistic? Probably, but I am keeping a positive attitude. The connection between an healthy mind and recovery is strong, and I will get through this a better person.
  • I am so sorry you are in such physical and emotional pain. I know what you are going through. I am a married 44 year old woman with two daughters. I have had two previous back surgeries (laminectomy of L5/S1 in 1997 and a disectomy in '04). Laminectomy was on right side, disectomy on left. In addition, I am currently suffering from excrutiating radicular pain on my left side. Prior to this incident, I led an active life and was able to keep up with my two girls.
    I am facing a spinal fusion on November 4th and am scared too. My surgeon says that this procedure should stabilize my spine and hopefully will not give me trouble again. I will say, as a word of encouragement, that I did extremely well after my two surgeries. Both were done as a result of a herniated disc on L5/S1). It was amazing how my leg pain almost disappeared immediately after surgery. I was back to work in two weeks. I'm not sure what your physical condition or age. I was in good physical health and was active when I had surgery.

This has definitely taken a toll on me emotionally. I am having pain management issues, and am suffering from a great deal of physical pain. Was on Percocet 5/325mg and started Oxycodone 5mg today. As such, I am unable to do many of the things I could prior to this. This has put a great deal of pressure on my husband to "pick up the slack". Even though I know it's not my fault, I feel bad that he has to do so much as he has a demanding job. Thankfully my girls aren't too young (6 and almost 9) that they can't do anything for themselves. They are also a big help.

I hope this post helps to bring you some encouragement. I believe difficult times can bring a couple closer together, and just remember that this will all be over soon. I put a lot of faith in my surgeon, who did my previous two surgeries. May God bless you and provide his grace and comfort to you during this difficult time.