Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newbie here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in New Member Introductions
hello ,i hope that some of you might be able to me some advice on my back trouble. on march 23 2009 i hurt my back at work i have lower back pain and right leg pain the stops above the knee i was told that i had a displaced disk and
fractured l/5 s1 vertbra pedicles so far i had 3 epridural injections 6 months of p/t which did not really help last month workmans comp sent me to a spine surgeon he told me that the only way to fix my back is to fuse the s1
l5 this really shook me up i heard a lot of bad things about these fusions i am worried that i will be not able to return to work i do a lot of climbing and lifting i heard about facet joint injections and nerve burning treatments that i want to try before surgey i just spoke with workmans comp rep and told her my feelings she has to get back to me
i know that this is a lot of rambling but i have never been
thur any thing like this thanks in advance for any help iam just scared and confused

• I think that you are thinking along the right track. It is always best to try all conservative treatments before moving on to surgery. If it does come down to surgery it is always best to get as many opinions as you can from different docs. There are no guarantees with surgery and some folks actually do have more pain post op than pre op. There are also success stories. You might want to check out the surgery section as you will find many folks there that have had this type of surgery. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
  • after all conservative treatments have been exhusted. Please keep in mind that possibly without surgery your pain increase and you won't be able to work, climb and lift as you mentioned in your post. ONLY you can decide on having surgery. Is your pain is manageable and bearable? ARe you working now?
    Are you taking pain meds now? Have gotten a 2nd opinion?

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have alot to learn about and have come to a great place for info from both friends and doctors.. do your homework and be prepared with questions for your doctors. :D learn what is going to happen to you. learn all your options both conservative and surgical. good luck. :D Jenny :)