Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WandtmacWWandtmac Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
Thanks to the support here I spent last week at a relatively close university having a case study done on me. I had posted a few weeks ago that I had a doctor that really wanted to have me sent to a university to have this done and I was hesitating and the support here really helped me to go ahead.
I spent most of this week having all the xray's, mri's, ct's and so much blood work that I believe they have a happy vampire on staff somewhere.
Well, I now have an entire medical university hospital stumped. Actually, fibromyalgia was brought up again. I was told I had this way before it was considered a real medical condition and I know plently of people that have it but I also feel this is a name for a condition when they don't know what is really going on. But, the main topic of concern was Chronic Fatigue. I was told after I had cancer I had CFS because the stress of the cancer left me sleepless. I never found a way to truly rest again. The doctors seem to think that I suffer from extreme amounts of pain because of this. I have a large amount of muscle mass for a women. I am 5'10" and weight 205 lbs. That is a lot of weight but I only wear a size 10 jean. They said that my bone, muscle and organ tissue accounts for about 170lbs of my weight. I am very healthy and use to be athletic. They think the lack of sleep is causing my muscles to remain in a contracted state and they never have enough time to rest so they put strain on my joints and disc areas and thats the reason for the wear and tear at my age.

Well, if they are right I just need to sleep! I have taken about every sleep aid out there. Tried sound machines, armotherapies and love my sleep number bed. They are now trying me on more sleep aids and said they don't care how drousy they make me right now. I wasn't aware how bad lack of sleep could be on the heart. My heart is fine but I don't want to risk it.

I thought I would let ya'll know and thanks everyone again for pushing me into this direction. Sometimes we just need to hear the words from others that will tell you what they really think.

• I know CFS is very hard on the heart/body, as is fibro. I have fibro, and at times have CFS also. My PCP is giving me Bontril, so that I can stay alert while I work, as I drive 8 hrs a day, and sometimes felt like I was driving in a fog, and would get somewhere, and not remember driving there. I guess I was on auto-pilot. Thank the Lord nothing happened.

Again congrats on caring for the new baby, they are my favorite children. I would have had a dozen if they stayed under a year old :D Well, maybe not, that would be a lot of diapers. But I wouldn't mind caring for infants up to a year, but with all my problems I can't. Have a good night's rest.

• I am so glad that you went ahead and had them do the work up on you. I hope that you have figured out some things. I have had fibro, for 25 years. It was really unheard of when they told me I had it. But I do know that lack of sleep can cause alot of problems with muscles and pain. You are right that your muscles never relax and that tension, is like a big merry go round. Nothing ever improves. I used to walk about 4 miles a day when i first was diagnosed with it. My rheumatologist told me that walking did a number of positive things for me. I believe that it did, not only for joint pain, but helps to relax my muscles. I plan to go back to it, when and if my back allows me to. Good Luck and Congrats on the positive experience.
  • Lack of sleep can be disastrous for the body, in so many ways. I do hope they find a way to get you some true rest. I am also one of those people who has a lot of muscle mass for a woman. I am 5'7 and weigh 175 and take a size 12 jeans so I'm a little more compact than you, but the doc says my health is good. They also think I have fibromyalgia, but I am also of the mindset that it is just a name they give to a condition when they can't figure out what's wrong. The day they come up with a definitive test that proves I have it, I'll believe them. Until then, pressing on points in my body where I have had previous injuries is always going to hurt - duh!!

Hang in there and get some rest!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.