Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mortons Toe

vivavegasvvivavegas Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all, I wasnt sure where to put this post,i was considering Arthritis, but decided maybe here was the best spot...anyway.Just a few days ago I came across a rather intresting article about how the feet can really effect posture and pain.This article focused on whats known as MORTONS TOE...( this is where the 2nd toe is longer than the first big toe) most of the time bunions,claw toes, hammertoes and small bunions on other toes are also part of this deformity. It was discovered years ago by 2 doctors, one of whom was doctor to the president,I cant recall her name, and the other was Doctor Morton, they both did years of research and published many books on the condition, their theory was that if you suffered from this, you have wide spread pain all over your body and it was named mayofasial pain syndrome.

It stated that alot of people would present to their doctors with burning pain, and would be simply told it was from their dibetes...neuropathic pain, when all along that wasnt the problem.when infact the MORTONS TOE was the real issue, and when people had this corrected all of their symptoms disappeared. There are alot of things that can be done to alievate the pain associated with this condition, insoles in footware,taping.where like a bandage type material is taped to the foot so as the toes take equal pressure and finally surgery where they can lengthen/shorten bones/.....and fix the mortons toe condition, therefore correcting your gait problems and getting rid of the pain......treating the condition and not just the symptoms.

I had been meaning to post this but today when i logged on I came across a new post where the person might be getting their toes cut off because of bad arthritis..........rather drastic I know.So I decided to post it just incase their are others in similar position.I found myself thinking .wow we are having all these back surgeries and some of them dont be successful probably cause again we are treating the symptoms and not the underlying problem,Granted though there are many successful back surgeries and alot of people dont have this MORTON TOE issue, so anyway there you go.......I have posted.in the meantime guys have a look at your feet and tell me what you all think....I know that when I looked at my feet I have this problem and big ugly looking bunion too ~X( ..........THANKS GUYS :) :/

• Well, my 2nd toes are longer than my first toes. My friend told me it was because I was less evolved. lol. Sounds interesting, have to read up on it.
  • I've surveyed my house and apparently my entire family has the second toe slightly longer than the first. I always thought that was normal.. :?
  • I thought it was just a a "thing", genetic like the lack of earlobes, etc,

I have one second toe, way, longer than my big toe, left foot if anyone cares :D

I don't have any earlobes either :?

Maybe I better keep an eye out for the mutant wagon? :/ Before they come haul me off :H

Seriously, I have suffered some form of joint and or muscle pain my entire life. I gave up on trying to identify its source years ago. My mom would take me to doctors for it for several years ending about when I was 13 and my sister got gravely ill, so my pains became secondary. I just never investigated them again as none of my childhood doctors ever managed to help me.

Now, well, I have about enough of seeing doctors. I keep going to the one that helps me, shrink, and the one I have to for my SCS, PM.
  • When you have the second toe longer than the first, here in my neck of the woods, it is believed that you will be the leader or the master in your home.

My second toe on the right foot is longer but not on the left foot. My husband's second toes are both longer... I guess that means I am only SOMETIMES the master (or mistress) of my domain... I guess as long as hubs isn't home... ?

And my burning in the feet never really started until after my L5/S1 nerve became inflamed due to a herniation... Consequently, I have permanent nerve damage... yeah yeah - poor pitiful me.

I'm with ERNurse - I'm curious enough to research more.
  • jeauxbert said:
    When you have the second toe longer than the first, here in my neck of the woods, it is believed that you will be the leader or the master in your home.
    I just went and checked my cats' feet and their second toes are longer than their first.. I guess that makes a heck of a lot of sense about who's master of the house. =))
  • In case anyone is interested, in art, a foot in that conformation is called a "Greek foot." What we think of as the "normal" foot where the great toe is the longest, is known as the "Eqyptian foot". The longer second toe is often associated with Royalty.

In early Greek sculpture, the "Greek foot" was the idealized form and it became the aesthetic standard in statuary all through the Roman period, the Renaissance and is found in Celtic and French art.

The Statue of Liberty was cast with feet in the "Greek foot" style. Whether she has back pain, I do not know.
  • OK, on to some serious information. The woman who wrote The Trigger Point Book, Dr. Jane Travell, puts forth a theory that Morton's Foot is a major cause of musculoskeletal dysfunction and pain. She says that the prevalence of Morton's Toe is less than 50% in the general population but among people who seek medical help for musculoskeletal pain, it is over 80%.

Morton's toe causes or is associated with excessive pronation. When weight bearing, the longitudinal arch of the foot drops and the ankle rolls inward. This causes two major problems: the leg is functionally shortened and the leg is rotated internally. This creates a situation where the pelvis is no longer level. It can cause a rotation or various degrees of scoliosis. It causes other movement in the hips, etc. which causes changes in the curves of the spine and changes the posture. The result of all this is often the cause of joint and muscle pain...it can be knee and hip pain, low back pain, shoulder and neck pain. Some people think it can even cause headaches and TMJ dysfunction.

Some of you who have read some of my posts may remember me talking about the guy I go to that I call my "rearranger." When I first met with him, he began by looking at my feet and worked his way up from there. He didn't comment on my "Greek feet" but he did immediately notice the ankles rolling inward, causing the internal rotation of the legs, causing the uneven pelvis, etc. I was fitted with orthotics and he began to rearrange my soft tissue to keep me from being so unbalanced and misaligned!!

The hope is that it will keep me from developing further spinal degeneration and having the "domino effect" with the fusion.

So, I guess I'm a believer!

This discussion has been closed.