Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about current medication

skyfoxsskyfox Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Pain Medications
Hello to everyone, I have a question that I hope a couple of people can help me with....I have had two lumbar spine surgeries the last one being a fusion at L-4 L-5 S1 in January 2009, so I am expecting to still have some pain. I am just starting my second round of physical therapy, I have been on Percocet 10/325mg 5 times a day and Valium 10mg every 8 hours as needed for 2 years..This is the max dose according to my dr of percocet I have not been getting the same relief from this dose as I have been on it for so long, I have an appt November 2nd to dicuss medication I have had problems in the past with any medication containing morphine and was wondering what would my next medication step be?? I dont like taking so much medicine but really have a hard time functioning without anything, I still work so that adds to the strain I only want to be able to function without taking a pill every 4 hrs thats not really working anyways...Anyone have any suggestions of which route to go? I appreciate everyones input so thanks in advance :-) Sky
Stephy
advertisement

Comments

• Hopefully you can discuss with your doc, some sort of extended release medication to help control your pain. Do you keep a pain journal? A pain journal is very helpful in documenting how your pain fluctuates throughout the day and with certain activities.

Sorry you are still having pain. It does take quite some time to heal from a fusion. Just be up front with your doc and see if there are any alternatives that he can suggest.

"C"
  • Hello Skyfox -

It's not unusual to have issues with Morphine as many chronic pain sufferers do...but there are other options in the way of extended release pain meds.

Aside from Kadian capsules (extended release Morphine), there are Fentanyl patches, Oxycontin tablets, and Dilaudid to name just a few.

I'm sure that your Doc will present you with what options he deems necessary, but rest assured that he'll come-up with something that fits the bill.

Take care and best wishes -

Jeff
  • Thank you both I appreciate your responses...should I be concerned about the amount of pain I am still in? I know the fusion was just in January but my main concern is I am only 36 and can't imagine being on pain medications the rest of my life...I know I need them now and my Dr is very compassionate and understanding about chronic pain issues and I know every case is different but do people ever really get better?
    Stephy
  • skyfox said:
    Hello to everyone, I have a question that I hope a couple of people can help me with....I have had two lumbar spine surgeries the last one being a fusion at L-4 L-5 S1 in January 2009, so I am expecting to still have some pain. I am just starting my second round of physical therapy, I have been on Percocet 10/325mg 5 times a day and Valium 10mg every 8 hours as needed for 2 years..This is the max dose according to my dr of percocet I have not been getting the same relief from this dose as I have been on it for so long, I have an appt November 2nd to dicuss medication I have had problems in the past with any medication containing morphine and was wondering what would my next medication step be?? I dont like taking so much medicine but really have a hard time functioning without anything, I still work so that adds to the strain I only want to be able to function without taking a pill every 4 hrs thats not really working anyways...Anyone have any suggestions of which route to go? I appreciate everyones input so thanks in advance :-) Sky
    It seems to me that it would be a reasonable time to ask about long acting meds. The percocet contains acetaminophen and that is a large dose over a long period of time. I also have a bad reaction to morphine but have had very good results with Methadone. It is an opiate, gives very long lasting relief, little effect on your organs and is very inexpensive compared to oxycontin. Good luck.
  • I had my 2 level PLIF in Dec and am still on high doses of pain meds. Had my hardware taken out a month ago in order to try to relieve some pain. I would talk to Dr about pain med without all the tylenol. I take straight oxycodone without the tylenol. You may be able to up your dose by taking away the tylenol. You are at a low dose of oxycodone in the percocet. Just talk to him/her and I am sure they will either up dose or give you something that is longer acting. I have fentanyl patches and they are expensive without insurance and even the deductible. So just talk to them and I am sure they will help you. I know that it can take up to 2 years for some peoples pain to go away, and then some peoples never does. Good Luck...
advertisement