Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results and Dr visit

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was hoping for your input on my MRI and Drs visit. I went to the NS one month early because of new right arm symptoms. I have chronic left arm pain and weakness from a cord compression last year causing myelopathy. I was really concerned about my right arm because of the pain and weakness.Its very frustrating when both of your arms are clumsy.I get the MRI done and it shows,
A Disc protrusion midline and slightly to thr right at C7 T1 with mild compromise of the anterior subarachnoid space. My Dr told me he talked to the Radiologist and he said that it was normal and not much different from Mays MRI. I did not have right arm symptoms in May and they called it a disc bulge back then.
Is there a difference in a bulge and protrusion? Does anyone know what compromise of the subarachnoid space means?
My intuition has never been wrong when it pertains to my neck.You think another opinion is warranted? The last time they described a MILD disc bulge, it turned into a major problem with the cord compression.
Your input is appreciated as I have few people I can talk to about this. Bethy

• If you can get a seconf opinion do so. Your symptoms are aweful regardless of what the mri report says.

Did they do xrays as well? I would gather your file/films etc and take them to some one else.

Hang in there.

• is there a difference between the terms:

or do they mean the same, and the mild, moderate, servere is the discription of interest.

• You can read how this website defines those terms:

The subarachnoid space is the part located within the spinal column that holds the cerebrospinal fluid and the spinal cord.

When a disc herniates and presses into the dural sac, it can cause symptoms of nerve compression.

• In my experience medical professionals interchange all of these terms. THe most important thing seems to be your symptoms.

Since you have new symptoms what did your doctor say to do now? I would call him up and ask how the reports can say one thing and he says it's normal? Sometimes they make mistakes and mix up results. I would ask him to confirm what he told you. If he has an attitude find a new doctor.
  • Thanks Kris
    The Dr felt my protrusion wasn't bad enough to be causing me pain. Imagine that he thinks he knows how I feel. I talked to my Physiatrist today and she said that surgeons are only interested in doing surgery.I think she is right.
    I am going to hold out for a few more weeks and see if there is improvement.
    I am sick of this whole runaround. I am trying to live a normal life but its difficult when both of your arms don't work right.
  • Gwennie
    I am confused with the anatomy.I can envision the the spinal cord and fluid being held within the subarachnoid space. Is that right? IF thats true would compromise of that space be the same as pressing on the dural sac?Is that considered pressing of the cord?
  • Bethy

I had the same answer from a surgeon. Since my pain didn't match what the text book said was herniation pain he felt my herniated disk wasn't the problem. I was very upset when I left his office because I felt he was brushing me off. My first thought was that my problem wasn't big enough for him to bother with.

SInce then I have learned a few things. First is that he may be right. ALl of us have some spine abnormalities by the age of 40 just due to living. Most don't cause any pain or problem. Think of it this way. I may have a deviated septum in my nose but if I'm not suffering from sinus infections why fix it?

The second thing I learned is that surgery has it's own problems. Many times it seems that one surgery leads to a future surgery. Maybe that is because those who need surgery have complex problems. But it seems like one fix can cause other problems later of.

THe third thing I have learned recently is that doctors are very cautious about doing surgery. Medical journals are reporting that many surgeries done are not needed and often harmful. The insurance companies are using these reports to deny or stall alot of surgeries that seem to be borderline. And because doctors need insurance companies to survive they are careful about which surgeries they request approval for.

You said your doctor won't recommend surgery so what did he say? Are you taking any meds or doing PT? If the spine isn't causing the pain then what does he think it is? Muscle, tendon, nerve? Whatever you are doing try to think positive about it and do your best with it. I know I was disappointed that I didn't have an answer and a quick fix but I am also glad that I am not having surgery.

• Kris,
    I am not looking for surgery at all and that was never discussed. I was there on my years post op visit and was also looking for an answer to my new pain and weakness that started 3 weeks ago.In fact I think it's because of the 2 fusions I had that is causing this dominoe effect.I really didn't have a choice however because I had a cord compression.
    My guard is up because my mri last year showed a small bulge at C5 C6.The Dr went off the mri only and did not take my clinical symptoms serious.The myelogram showed the compression and I had to seek emergency medical treatment at a university and ended up in urgent surgery.
    I am anxious for a quick fix because I want to preserve the function of my arms left altered by myelopathy.
    Besides my neck problems,life is beautiful for me and my family.