Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLease read and help

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all..
I haven't posted here in a long time but.........In Feb 08 I had a 3 level acdf c3-6.In April 09 I had a L5 discectomey.my back is stil killing me. Today I had another MRi, Cervical x-rays,and then met w/neurosurgeon. He says all looks fine in the Lumbar and cervical area's. I told him Icant stand the pain anymore. he said perhaps it's muscular but I have severe multi level arthritis in these areas. He said possibly hecould put in a dorsalcolum for pain but usually these are for leg pain and success rate isn't that good. I want no more surgeries !! I'm on Oxycontin & Oxycodone now , but this neuro is referring me to this other dr. and possibly get trigger point injections. I had these b4 in my neck and I dont think they help. I think it's a money game and I dont like needles....any adviceplease?

• Hmmm.. That's possible. BUT you just never know, right?

The last time you had the trigger injections, was this before or after surgery? Reason I am asking is that if they were before surgery, maybe they will help this time... ?

All I know is that it sucks, royally, to be in pain. Your history is way more extensive than mine is, but either way, that constant nagging unrelenting pain just sucks.

Have you tried physical therapy? How about accupuncture? Believe it or not, there's a lot that can be said for accupuncture. I didn't believe it would do a thing for me, but was very much pleasantly surprised.

I feel for you. I hope you are able to find some relief soon.

Take care!
  • Thanks for the comment, It has been a long time since I had injections. Before all these surgeries. I will see this dr, the end of Nov and go from there.............I guess I was really trying to find out what any1 out there know's about dorsal colum stimulator implants...
  • Long time no see. It's good to hear from you. I understand the situation you're in and I would certainly seek another opinion on how to deal with your ongoing pain. About the stimulator, you will have to go through a trial run to see if it helps after you have had a psych evaluation first. I did this long ago but the trial didn't work out for me. I'm having surgery to have a pain pump implanted soon since I did a whole lot better with this trial. If you decide to give any of these treatments a try, you must have reasonable expectations and research all you can so you know what you're getting yourself into. There is tons of info here about stimulators and personal experiences which are priceless.
  • :H Just a thought - - have you tried massage? I recently came across a wonderful woman (who also happened to be an RN) who was very successful in helping my sciatic pain. Sometimes they are able to release the muscle spasms (trigger points) or possibly manipulate scar tissue that is causing the pain. It's your lower back that's the problem correct?

I used to have upper back issues (muscle related) and massage helped tremendously with the pain.

Don't give up hope -- keep pushing to find some relief.

Take care,

• I'm sorry you're still having so much pain now. The trigger point injections elongate the muscle to get rid of muscle spasms. I can't say they helped too much for me but had a little relief in my lower back. I still use my infrared platinum heating pad which I would be lost without it while sitting I feel so much relief. May as well have another opinion from this new Doctor and see if he can help you. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks to all that have replied but, Yes deltalady, it is my lower back mainly.
  • Hey MeyDey,,
    How ya doin pal? Thanks for the info. I have just begun to research the info Re: this implant. However, I do see where A Psych is required. Can u tell me why? I have not yet delved into it enuff yet,,,,,,,,,,,but u know me,,,,i will for sure. I just dont believe too much in those injections. They are a temporary pain relief "fix"..........I need a permanent solution although I do realize there may not b 1.
    I am only 51 years old and as u know have had my share of spinal problems. I would like a pain free existence but I do realize this may not ever b possible. As much as all these Dr's think I have addiction issues,,,,I dont even want that crappy Oxy..it makes me feel lousey and tired.......therefore, I dunno what the hell the answer is.
    But I do thank YOU for chimming in...

• Well, they have you consult with a psychiatrist to make sure that you are emotionally stable and responsible enough to keep up with appts, etc. I had mine and it was a 20 minute session where I was asked a series of questions. At the end I received a clean mental bill of health :D . Some doctors will have you go through more thorough psychological testing. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do just fine.
  • Hey Paul....

It's been awhile since I chatted with you last. I'm so sorry to hear you are still in pain after having the surgery. It's so frustrating to go through this major surgery only to find out you are still in pain. Are you seeing pain mgmt doc at the moment?

Keep in touch my friend and I will keep you in my prayers.